Comet - Touring Tire Sizes with Birmabright Fenders - Is it Gonna' Look Weird?

Pharquarx

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yes, that was me last week, out in the warm California sun, racking up about 200 miles on my '50 Comet.
As it was sitting in the driveway before I put it away, I really liked the look of the Birmabright fenders, which, are in really good shape. Just gives the bike a great visual appeal and, it is probably safer as the bike can be seen better with them.
Dilema. I went through the expense of having Conway's put together a touring package for me, including a 3.50S19 front rim and tire and a 4.00S18 rear rim and tire. They did a beautiful job and these will definitely be fitted to the Comet over the next few months.
The bike is currently fitted with a 3.00S20 on the front and a 3.50-19 on the rear.

So, the question - Touring Tire Sizes with Birmabright Fenders - Is it Gonna' Look Weird?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I like the look of my 19" rear with my SS guards and went to a 21" on the front from a 19" to fill up the front guard better.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I am no expert on handling, but I believe the popular wisdom is that a 3.50 front would not improve steering.

b'knighted

VOC Member
What tire sizes would be standard for a series D comet? I'd expect (but don't know) that the Victor was fitted with 19" front and 18" rear like the D twins. When 20" tyres were unavailable many people changed to 19" front and it was generally accepted that it was wise to reduce rear diameter correspondingly, this may have been to allow extra width. I don't think Charles /Pharquarx will have a problem.

Cheers,

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
The works supplied some bikes for South Amerca with WM3 x 19 " rims on both ends. I have a Comet, a bitza, but sourced from Argentina with this set up. I also have a standard Comet with WM2 x 20" front and WM3 x 19" rear. The front tyres of both machines are fitted with Avon Speedmasters, the bitza 19 x 3.25., the standard 20 x 3.00 .I have just compared (roughly, it's damn cold in the garage) the overall tyre diameter of both front tyres and there seems to be not much difference between the two. At anyrate the 19" fills the mudguard. Then, again roughly, I measured the tyre height aspect from the rim. The 20 inch tyre is 2 1/4" and the 19" tyre is 3". According to my calculations (maths O level, failed) the overall tyre diameter of the twenty inch wheel is 24 1/2" and the 19" wheel is 25" diam. As to the handling of the bitza, I have noticed no real difference but then I am not very brave these days.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Yes, that was me last week, out in the warm California sun, racking up about 200 miles on my '50 Comet.
As it was sitting in the driveway before I put it away, I really liked the look of the Birmabright fenders, which, are in really good shape. Just gives the bike a great visual appeal and, it is probably safer as the bike can be seen better with them.
Dilema. I went through the expense of having Conway's put together a touring package for me, including a 3.50S19 front rim and tire and a 4.00S18 rear rim and tire. They did a beautiful job and these will definitely be fitted to the Comet over the next few months.
The bike is currently fitted with a 3.00S20 on the front and a 3.50-19 on the rear.

So, the question - Touring Tire Sizes with Birmabright Fenders - Is it Gonna' Look Weird?

short answer
No.
stumpy lord.

Albervin

VOC Member
It really comes down to personal taste. We have a section member who is height impaired and he has fitted the smaller diameter wheels. I really think the Vincent handles better with thinner tyres but as I said, it is down to personal preferences. I have 21"/19" set up on my B Rap and C Comet. At the moment I am in the process of fitting Avon AM20/26 tyres on the Rapide, hopefully I will obtain better handling and braking from them which is the point of the exercise.