Comet timing chest

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Good advice from vince998, only other thing i would check is the original hole that you had trouble with.....sounds as though it may have picked up on the way in and broached the hole, possibly the spindle was a bit crooked as it went in....not too sure on that one without seeing it, but at any rate i would carefully clean up the hole which is a tough ask as a fixed 3/8 reamer will open the hole too large...others on the forum may have an idea or two but maybe use a long 1/4 bolt with the head cut off and cut a slot down one end, then fead a piece of emery tape into the slot with the tape wrapped around the bolt a couple of times and spin it in a hand drill. You can then a little at a time ease away the high spots down the hole, try keeping the tape from removing alloy at the mouth of the hole to prevent it bell mouthing too much......good luck....Greg.

vince998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Or buy a dremel!! :)
I have pictures of the cases wanging around the room held onto the drill with a slotted headless bolt and emery cloth!!
I made up a set of scrapers from some needle files for jobs like this. Takes a bit of time and patience, but you can see what your´re doing, and only remove what you want to.
Good advice from vince998, only other thing i would check is the original hole that you had trouble with.....sounds as though it may have picked up on the way in and broached the hole, possibly the spindle was a bit crooked as it went in....not too sure on that one without seeing it, but at any rate i would carefully clean up the hole which is a tough ask as a fixed 3/8 reamer will open the hole too large...others on the forum may have an idea or two but maybe use a long 1/4 bolt with the head cut off and cut a slot down one end, then fead a piece of emery tape into the slot with the tape wrapped around the bolt a couple of times and spin it in a hand drill. You can then a little at a time ease away the high spots down the hole, try keeping the tape from removing alloy at the mouth of the hole to prevent it bell mouthing too much......good luck....Greg.

Grash

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks guys, very good info. Vince998, I shall try your method for depth setting once I have scraped out the holes. In my first attempt ( I imagined they would just drop into place, duh), I had them both attached to the steady plate, with ET98/1s, and intended to push the plate down onto the spacers ET162, to set them at correct depth. Some misalignment may then have startd them at the wrong angle. Perhaps I should leave in the oven for longer too. I tried measuring the change in dims for the spindles having left them in the freezer overnight, but hardly detect any change. Looked up the temperature coefficient for steel (16 x 10^-6) and this would give a change of 0.2 thou if the freezer is at -10 deg C. Not much change but I guess it must slow down the temp rise as it's going in, which should help.
Off to bodge a scraper or I may try your micro sander, Greg. Watch out!
Thanks again, it really is comforting knowing there's someone up there listening!

Grash