comet suspension/steering

phil_h

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
So, after some months of ownership, I've had my first ride. 'What ?' I hear you say. Well, it was wet and wintery when I bought it (ebay), and after starting it (easy after owning velos), it was apparent that the clutch was not disengaging, so rather than dive in too deep, I got a couple of books and printed off the 'notes' so I had some terms of reference. And then I saw that it leaked more oil than 2 velos together, so I was even more dismayed. And didnt do much, except realise that the main leak came from the oil fitting on the tank.
Unfortunately spring brought ill-health, and even though I am still very crock, I needed something to cheer me up, so over the last week I've read stuff again and got into (slow) action.
1) I tightened up those crap oil banjos with their feeble fibre washers (did very little) so I'd like advice on what new washers to start with, and where please.
2) Its easy to get onto the excellent roll-on stand, but both wheels are left on the floor. This seems to be largely due to immense slop in the rear linkages, and I cant find anything which talks about this - advice on what to expect, and whee would be very welcome please.
3) With a plank under the stand, I was able to free up the clutch in time-honoured fashion by kicking with it in gear, so I took it out for a little test ride, but was quickly dissapointed again:
a) the slow-speed steering makes keep trying to loosen off the steering damper, but its loose, and the head bearings dont feel tight. There is a lot of sag in the front, but that shouldnt change the feel. Any ideas please ? (Tyre pressures are about 26/28)
b) the clutch lever pivot was so sloppy that half the lever travel is lost, so changes had to be very... slow. Metric levers as it turns out, so not even old - what are good ones to fit please ? (the most-excellent front brake's lever is a bit sloppy too, but it is so good it doesnt really matter)
c) the performance seemed no more exciting than my iron MSS, and it doesnt sound at all 'crisp', so could someone point me at the most typical carb settings please.

If someone wants to come and pass judgement themselves, and raise my spirits, they are very welcome. I live near petworth in west sussex.

davidd

VOC Member
Phil,,

With the steering, consider removing the front wheel and then fiddle with the blades, turning left and right pulling up and down to see if there is any looseness in the bearings. If you tighten them check for notches in the turning. Make sure the blades can fall left or right when prodded.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Unless you get some dowty washers. always use a new correct standard washer if the connection is undone or is found to be loose and oil soaked, then they should not (and should not need to be)be tightened with a heavy hand especially if alloy
As for planks of wood under the stand (A non standard item of course) the Dave Hills Stands (I assume that's what you have)are Excellent and Suited for the various Vincents thats why Dave always asks about wheel sizes and model when you purchase, but when all said and done who knows what bike or setup was asked for and what state the suspension is from standard.
I wish I had my Iron MSS too....
Then I could swap it for your Comet ;)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Phil, It's nice to have a Roll on stand, But the back wheel should be just off the ground or it might Roll Off !! Make sure it goes over centre. You don't tell us what size front wheel/ Tyre you have. Any trouble with the front end , I would put an Hydraulic steering damper on it, To help be safe. Cheers Bill.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Another thing to look at is the current condition of the girdraulic shock. If it is a standard Vincent item you may want to consider upgrading to something new. The "Thorton" shock for the Girdraulics is a very good upgrade. I have heard from the UK guys that the Avo is good too.

Gene.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Another thing to look at is the current condition of the girdraulic shock. If it is a standard Vincent item you may want to consider upgrading to something new. The "Thorton" shock for the Girdraulics is a very good upgrade. I have heard from the UK guys that the Avo is good too.

Gene.
The AVO units work very well in my own experience and is far less expensive than the Thornton units which also get good reviews. At the link below you can read more about the AVO damper and how a Coventry Section member assisted AVO to develop and eventually produce a unit for the Vincent.
http://coventryvoc.co.uk/machine_mods.htm

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I have had no banjo bolt oil leaks with Neal Videan's Oil Leak Eliminator Kit. This selection of compressed O ring and fitted aluminum banjo and oil feed washers is a bit expensive, but they work and are reuseable. Advertisement in the back of MPH.

greg brillus

VOC Member
These dowty type hydraulic seals are great, I use them under the heads of the 1/4 BSF bolts that hold the oil return line banjo's down.....never bother with the original copper ones.......Never have any leaks afterwards. I use a 3/8 ID one under the locknut for the primary chain adjuster as well.......More than one way to skin a cat.

phil_h

Non-VOC Member
Phil,,
With the steering, consider removing the front wheel and then fiddle with the blades, turning left and right pulling up and down to see if there is any looseness in the bearings. If you tighten them check for notches in the turning. Make sure the blades can fall left or right when prodded.
David
Hi David
I'm not up to pulling out the wheel at the mo, but when its chocked up everything feels quite good - steering feels fine when over 20-ish.
What I have just done is point the rear wheel at the front wheel, which is my preference, but obviously not the former owners ;)
Hopefully that will be the problem.
phil