Misc: Stands Comet Stand

cinquecento

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I find the use of the rear stand a totally precarious method, having to balance the machine holding the seat while hoiking up and securing the stand. Rather rashly bought a set of 'Vincent' side stands on fleabay before realising a load of related mounting gubbins is also needed.

Has anyone any first hand knowledge of least painful way of adapting and fitting what I understand could be either Triumph or Japanese bike stand or general thoughts on the matter of stands.

Thanks

timetraveller

VOC Member
Dave Hills supplies stands for both singles and twins which will do exactly what you want. You are just down the road from a fellow Vincent owner who would be happy to show you what is involved.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Dave Hills' stand is the way to go, but a VFR Honda stand can be adapted very easily and you only need to drill one extra hole in your FT106 plate. This is a side stand!

Howard

VOC Member
I'm sure there are other options, but my Comet has a Dave Hills stand and it's the easiest stand I've ever had to put a bike on.

H

Dinny

VOC Member
I use the rear stand and just rest the cutout in the seat against my left leg whilst looking to the rear, can then release/ fix the stand easily with the weight of the bike just resting on me. Works for me and feels safe but I don't have panniers on the bike. With panniers I would say a Dave Hills would be the best option. Also front stands can be made to work via extending them. Mike Breeding sells the bits req, google him.

Mark

Robert Watson

VOC Member
VFR 800 side stand from the breakers. After obtaining the stand and organising the required 2 bolts -- Install start to finish was 8 minutes.

Brian Magee

Forum User
VOC Member
My Comet came with a Dave Hills stand. It is simple to pull the bike onto the stand. The problem I had, being short in the leg was to balance the bike getting off. I bought a Kawazaki ZZR 250 stand as recomended on a posting on this website. I can now kick the propstand down, lean the bike over and step off. As stated above just one hole needs to be drilled to fit it. The only problem is you need to remove the Dave Hills stand (if fitted) as the two clash.

Brian.

Howard

VOC Member
I can put mine on the DH stand sitting/standing astride it. (I was 5-8 when I left school, so with age I'm probably about 4'-3" now :) )

H

My Comet came with a Dave Hills stand. It is simple to pull the bike onto the stand. The problem I had, being short in the leg was to balance the bike getting off. I bought a Kawazaki ZZR 250 stand as recomended on a posting on this website. I can now kick the propstand down, lean the bike over and step off. As stated above just one hole needs to be drilled to fit it. The only problem is you need to remove the Dave Hills stand (if fitted) as the two clash.

Brian.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I have a DH stand on both my Shadow and Comet. I start them on that and just roll off. I'm 5'6" with a 29 inch in seam. I welded a little tab to the front side stands to make it easy to flick them out when I stop. Once off I just pop them up on the DH stand. The only thing that would make the DH stand better would be a magic button the handle bars to deploy when you stop and want to get off. I park all my bikes on their center stands when I park for an extended period. All except for the two Vincents with their DH stands are right pigs to use.
Steven