• For any queries related to registration, engine numbers, frame numbers or buying a Vincent motorcycle, the only Club Officials who have access to all the Factory (Works) Records up to 1954 (including dispatch records) and worldwide ownership details gathered by the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club since 1948 are Simon Dinsdale (Machine Registrar) and Jonathan Lambley (Machine Researcher).

Never rely on Certificates of Authenticity or Dating Certificates issued years ago, nor information provided by sellers. You should always satisfy yourself that you know what you're buying before you bid/buy. Always do your own due diligence.

Simon and Jonathan can be contacted by following THIS LINK.
  • Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

For Sale Comet Special

Graham Smith

Forum Website Webmaster
VOC Member
VOC Forum Website Administrator
VOC Forum Website Moderator

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
All that modern equipment, but still using a Lucas dynamo, but then again so am I on my Comet, my Son was riding it back from the Cop Hill hill climb in the pissing rain, for safety he flicked the headlamp on, which very soon starved the coil ignition and he ground to halt in Beaconsfield, turned the light off, waited a few minutes, gave the kickstart a prod, and away it went again, to be fair to Mr Lucas, we had left home a few hours previous with a partially charged battery, I had left the ignition switched on previously (again)

Just out of interest, how long could you expect a 60 watt Lucas dynamo to balance a single plug coil ignition system with standard incandescent bulbs, 35watt front.

Also I think I have asked this previously, what would be involved in changing from + earth to - earth, obviously swapping the battery terminals, do I then just flash the dynamo, what about the ammeter and the voltage regulator?

I am fitting Kellermann indicators, and seems easier with negative earth.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The problem with dynamos in my experience is that they need to be revved to charge. Had your son been prepared to ride along in second gear then he might have been able to keep the battery charged. Before Dick Sherwin and I developed the 'Walkernator' I used a Bell conversion to give 12 volts from an original Lucas 6 v dynamo. On some of the country lanes round where I live and going round slow corners at night it was a pain and I could see the ammeter dropping back to a 6 amp discharge,

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
What drive is used, would have to be inclined to fit a smaller sprocket on like what I did when fitting a Bosch dynamo 28 to 24 teeth to increase speed and charged well at 1500 RPM.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I don't think the question is for me. However, if it is then on Comets I use the original gear drive in the timing cover to drive a dynamo replacement. The output from this is via a poly vee belt. On all the twins I can use that to speed up the alternator to about double the engine speed. There is not enough room on the Comet to put a large pulley on the output from the dynamo replacement and so the alternator rotates at about the same speed as the engine. Over to Vic.

Last edited by a moderator:

oexing

VOC Member
Some time ago I had posted my performance numbers with the brushless motors (3 sizes available) converted to alternators. I am very confident to get power way above my needs - and will hopefully do a few miles in one or two years to confirm the bench tests, see below

Vic

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?