PT: Exhaust Comet silencer

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
ACU (for interest nowadays)
EXHAUST pIpES1. The end of the exhaust pipe or pipes must not project beyond any part of the vehicle or its bodywork. Exhaust gases must not be discharged so as to raise dust or foul the tyres or brakes, or inconvenience a following rider. The end of the exhaust pipe for a minimum distance of 30mm must be horizontal and parallel (within a + or −10 degree tolerance) to the fore and aft

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Glen, Not sure what part of the throttle you are on, But get some more petrol in there, And go for 75 !! :) .

This is at full bore, although 3/4 throttle nets the same result.
These are little 28 mm or Shadow sized carbs.
Makes you realize that for pulling hills at 70-80 mph bigger carbs won't help as I'm not even needing all of a 28 mm set.
I should try a larger mainjet as you suggest.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I agree, I went down to 28mm Mk1 concentrics, On my ex L/ning, And thought I would be round to the stop all the time, But not so !, 80 mph on the flat, No wind, Just over 1/4 throttle.
No one agreed, But I Used to road race on 1/4 throttle, Through the gears with 36 mm Dellortos.
Makes me think, I might have been quicker with small carb's ? :) .
Having said that, I have gone with 30 mm Mk2s now.
Don't forget the trick, If it goes faster as you roll the throttle off, It's too weak. Cheers Bill.

flashvin

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Guys: a very large expansion chamber with baffles see a late Guzzi Falcone or a Velocette or the earlier Indian Enfields or Brooklands can a big one. is the only way to get the DB down with out snuffing out the urge on a Comet. The std. expansion chamber volume on a Vincent silencer will never work but then you all know that right?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well my Bikes are not very standard, But I can't see me putting a Big Fat silencer on mine.
I have had a Goldie, With nothing in it !, On one, But that is as far as I will go.
It's about Looks and power. Cheers Bill.

nkt267

VOC Member
Fair go! My Comet DOES comply in all respects with the Australian Design Rules that were applicable at time of its manufacture!
That's basically what I said,British rules though, when the plod that stopped me said she would have my Comet tested for noise..**** off she said. Vroom Vroom:cool::D

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Martyn, Funny, After all these years trying to make Vins go faster, I have never seen the "Notes".
But that's too short for the road, I have had a Silencer end at the wheel spindle, But even that was too loud.
Bit like the Ram Stacks from USA, It works out about 14", Had a pair on the Blue Twin, But first tried it on my Gold Star, Half way down the M1, At night, It shut down !, I found it was my Sisters Knee, Blocking the intake !,
So not good for the road :) . Cheers Bill.