PT: Exhaust Comet silencer

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have found that silencers vary in noise from bike to bike. I took one from my Rapide and put it onto my Vomet and it lasted a day; way too loud. I am now going to try the Shadow silencer on my Rapide, it is an absorption type TOGA. Reason being I am sure the one currently on the Rapide is too restrictive as it almost sounds like a modern bike :)

nkt267

VOC Member
I have found that silencers vary in noise from bike to bike. I took one from my Rapide and put it onto my Vomet and it lasted a day; way too loud. I am now going to try the Shadow silencer on my Rapide, it is an absorption type TOGA. Reason being I am sure the one currently on the Rapide is too restrictive as it almost sounds like a modern bike :)
I had a Toga on my Comet, Mk2's and a standard piston,Could be heard from nearly a mile away..It's quieter,sort of, with a stainless Armours pipe.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I put an absorbtion type on my twin as the spiral baffle one on it slowed it down no end, a friend complained about the performance of his Comet having checked everything else fitted my silencer temporarily, performance restored, but it is LOUD under load whereas on the twin it's not.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have started to give my new Egli Comet some throttle, boy its powerful, but the Gold star silencer(pattern) does make a racket, but it looks the part perhaps a mute in the end is required anyone tried that?,

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The pattern Gold Star silencer on my Norvin is much louder than the straight through absorption one on my Shadow so I expect it would be much louder still on a Comet, the straight through one's the same, put it on a Comet and it's painful to follow when under load.

Black Flash

VOC Member
I have started to give my new Egli Comet some throttle, boy its powerful, but the Gold star silencer(pattern) does make a racket, but it looks the part perhaps a mute in the end is required anyone tried that?,
Hello Vibrac,
I have tried 2 types of mutes on my goldie silencer [amplifier], the first being a VW beetle exhaust end flute. Tamed it a bit, but not enough. On evilbay I then bought these aftermarket mutes for hardly drivables.
This worked very well but somehow restricted the revving on the race cam. If you are not aiming at revving past 6.000 rpm I would give it a try. They will certainly help.
That said, no two engines are the same regarding timing, carburation, compression, cam, etc etc.
But at 14 pounds delivered worth a try rather than ditching a beautiful exhaust.
Bernd

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The absolute best silencer for a Comet is a straight thru pipe!
Its not! well not if you live in a country where kids and adults are allowed to ride around the roads on ponies and horses, and to be honest if you intend to do a decent mileage it can get a little wearing having what sounds like a gatling gun banging away for mile after mile, and these days it probably would not even pass the test for track use, I find my bent and battered club silencer just about acceptable as far as noise balanced with performance goes.

Albervin

VOC Member
Martyn has been known to terrify children and kangaroos. Anyone riding behind him can claim for industrial deafness.