Misc: Stands Comet Side Stand?

Matty

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I fitted a Kawasaki side stand years ago and the details are on the forum somewhere. I will try to find them. It did involve chopping the safety switch mechanics off and drilling a hole in the footrest plate
I just stood the bike at the angle I wanted and drilled the hole for the stand.
I think a Honda Fireblade stand would also work well.
Matty

Matty

VOC Member
I do not understand how the forum works now but I fitted a Kawasaki stand to my Comet some years ago and there is information about this on the old forum which I will attempt to find when I understand the new forum.
I just hope all that valuable information is still there after the system "upgrade".
However all I did was to remove the safety switch mechanics from the jap stand and then stand the bike up at the angle I wanted to stand it and drill a fixing hole in the pillion footrest plate for a bolt in the appropriate place.
A Honda Fireblade or simular one will also be ideal and mine cost £15 a few years ago and works fine, does not get in the way and can be kicked down while sitting on the bike.
Matty

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
if you go into search , Top right hand corner of this page,
Ask for , Prop Stands, Don't put any names or anything, Just press search,
On page 2 scroll down to a Blue O, That's Old Bill !!!, Not Me,
Posting 41 and 44.
Sorry I am too thick to be able to swing it across for you.
Cheers Bill.

Matty

VOC Member
Hi All
I have found pictures of my sidestand which I fitted to my Comet some years ago
It was part of a letter I had written to MPH on the subject which I have copied and is attached (I hope !!)

Matty

VOC Member
Sorry the picture was not attached for some reason

Attachments

• Sidestand Down.JPG
    Sidestand Down.JPG
    466.1 KB · Views: 35

Matty

VOC Member
I just went to a local bike breaker ,of which there were many in those days and picked a suitable sidestand from a teachest full of sidestands. They said the one I chose was from a Kawasaki but there were many others which would do.
In those days I used to rebuild written off bikes for the fun of riding them and did about 60 including BMWs- K100 and 75, Honda Fireblade CBX6 Cbr 600s Gold wing, Yamaha Tenere, Kawasaki 1000 etc.etc.,
Unfortunately the crashed bikes are almost impossible to find now and I am at 85 too old to restore and ride them, so I have lost contact with "the trade"
I was an electronics research Engineer by trade with an interest in bikes and cars and because my family were blacksmiths some skills with a hammer !!
I still do a few miles with the VMCC on the Comet which I bought in 1956 and it runs beautifully in pretty original trim but with only 108,000 miles on the clock.
Have ridden 280 miles it to the Isle of Man most years for the Manx Rally and Grand prix since 1963 but for 2022 taking it in a trailer and hoping I can still manage a slow lap !!!
Matty