Misc: Stands Comet Side Stand?

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I went for broke and fitted the T120 to a Neil Videan sidecar mounted bracket look really the business otherwise I was told by beknighted to use a Honda side stand at yes a tenner but what I have, I have seen on other Vincents and looks and works perfectly, I had to drill and tap a 1/4" scew stop to prevent the stand hitting the chain case on the Comet but otherwise perfecto.

Attachments

• TVK960 Comet_P1000253.jpg
    TVK960 Comet_P1000253.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 151

b'knighted

VOC Member
I had one of those. I found it quite a stretch to retract it and on one occasion it flicked itself back down as I pulled away. As it dug in and swung back it pushed the bike from upright to leaning right. That was when I discovered that adrenaline is brown. This stand is now fitted to a forward pointing bracket mounted where that bikes Dave Hills stand/ pillion plate bolts behind the primary chain case. It must be deployed before the Dave Hills stand can be operated or raised, but I can easily hook it back with my heel.
I have not fitted a Honda stand with a Dave Hills stand but have drilled the plate.
The Honda stand will need spacing out to prevent the springs from clashing, or the centre stand spring will need re-positioning in between the plates with a C link to clear the pivot.
The major improvement given by the nc24 stand is its rubber foot. I stand on it whilst mounting and dismounting and it keeps the bike completely stable.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I had one of those. I found it quite a stretch to retract it and on one occasion it flicked itself back down as I pulled away. As it dug in and swung back it pushed the bike from upright to leaning right. That was when I discovered that adrenaline is brown. This stand is now fitted to a forward pointing bracket mounted where that bikes Dave Hills stand/ pillion plate bolts behind the primary chain case. It must be deployed before the Dave Hills stand can be operated or raised, but I can easily hook it back with my heel.
I have not fitted a Honda stand with a Dave Hills stand but have drilled the plate.
The Honda stand will need spacing out to prevent the springs from clashing, or the centre stand spring will need re-positioning in between the plates with a C link to clear the pivot.
The major improvement given by the nc24 stand is its rubber foot. I stand on it whilst mounting and dismounting and it keeps the bike completely stable.
Can you post a photo, please?

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Good spotting Craig. Certainly not providing a reactive torque.
Maybe this is an early form of ABS?
Paint & polish more than make up for this trivial matter.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
I added a piece at 90 degrees to the piece Neil provides for your foot to push out and retract side stand and bent the corners up a little so easy to catch on sole of boot Makes it easier to use with older damaged ankles

Attachments

• F2CEC4FF-D120-4F2E-B6B9-1B6C6E9058A6.jpeg
    F2CEC4FF-D120-4F2E-B6B9-1B6C6E9058A6.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 147

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I had one of those. I found it quite a stretch to retract it and on one occasion it flicked itself back down as I pulled away. As it dug in and swung back it pushed the bike from upright to leaning right.
From the late 80's onwards lots of (Japanese) bikes had an interlock switch fitted to the sidestand that cut the engine if you engaged a gear while the sidestand was still down. With one of these, it should be a simple job to run an additional wire from the switch to the magneto to earth it out when the stand is down. If you are using coil ignition you may have to be a little more inventive.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Certainly possible, but I prefer less complication and fewer failure points. For the ultimate, remember Jacqueline's HRD wiring diagram in MPH, it was just the spark plug wire!

davidd

VOC Member
What is the brake arm doing?
It is probably applying the rear brake by activating the brake cam in the wrong direction. The torque reaction on the brake torque arm is exceptionally high. The Grey Flash broke two brake plates by pulling the brake anchor out of the brake plate with a small pie-shaped wedge of the Elektron plate still attached to the peg. The only option in the 1970s was to use the original steel rear brake plate as the Elektron plates were not up to the task. Today the racers run aluminum plates, which are much stronger than the Elektron.

David