Comet problem down below

alscomet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Problem with a comet and I am not sure what it is yet.
Take the bike off the centre stand and it wheels back and forth with no problem,lean the bike over to the brake pedal side and it jams up as if the chain is trying to mount the rear sprocket, lean it to the gear lever side and it wheels fine.
Tightened up the chain so there is no free play at all and the bike will not wheel when leant over to the brake pedal side. The chain has done 1200 miles and both sprockets are in good order. Pull the clutch in and the bike will wheel when leant over to the brake pedal side.Is it a primary chain problem or a rear chain problem I can't seem to get to the bottom of what is the problem !!! help please

nkt267

VOC Member
Take the rear chain off and see if it still has the same problem..At the same time see if the gearbox sprocket is loose..Could also be a gear selector problem..John

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Before you take the chain off.....lean it to the left, pull in the clutch and depress the kick-starter.
If this drives the bike along it must surely be "falling" into gear.......unless you've actually got it in a false neautral not between 1 and 2.
Tatty

alscomet

VOC Member
Tatty 500, Yes taking the chain off will not help, when I lean it over it is just falling into gear as its trying to turn the engine, the main shaft gearbox nut is tight if I push the mainshaft either way as there is some play I cannot replicate the falling into gear syndrome so it must be something in the box which is just allowing a gear to lock on and drive through the box.

alscomet

VOC Member
Think I have found it, took the gearbox outer cover off and the mainshaft nut was loose by about 3 threads,tightened it up and just cleaning everything down of grease before I dry try the cover back on,hopefully this will have solved the problem. Alan

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
alscomet,
yes, 3 turns at 20 tpi is 3.8mm. The 3rd gear, at the kick start end of the mainshaft, will definitely be able to slide onto the dogs of the double gear and engage third with this amount of movement.
Tatty

alscomet

VOC Member
Thanks for all your replys, problem is solved it was just a loose nut that caused all me heartache
best check the rest of the bike before the Bawtry Meeting. Alan

alscomet

VOC Member
Actually John I still have two nuts that sit on the saddle,one does seem a different size to the other
it could be metric or some obscure size . Alan