Jez Nemeth

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Got an 18T on the gear box drive at present -46 rear, there's some play there for sure -cloudy on calling these ratios in the primary though Chris. Not conversant with that stuff -and want to get close to standard, highway/touring speeds ideally -that was going to be the topic for next post! But does need to be considered at this point of course...

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Check the drain plug area on the outer cover with a larger front pulley. I had to do some material removal with even the smaller Newby pulley and belt.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
That's bloody close! But looking through the inspection cover -got about 1/8" space, phew. Be easier with a 25mm wide belt, possibly up to 30mm but no more... how wide is the belt you have?
Assuming its and alloy pulley + integrated flanges/guides, might be a bit thicker than the pulley I measured -that came to 35mm total thickness, 30mm belt, figured I could reduce belt down to 25mm width if problematic.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
On the flash which is the only installation with a conventional inner I needed a 1/4" spacer in place of a gasket I used a piece of 3 ply with the edge painted silver I keep meaning to take a gasket to my water cutter man to get one cut in 8 mm alloy
On the egli ( oops that 3 not 2 belt drives) I have a plain alloy plate at the back a primary cover on the front and a 1" wide strip supported by the screws in between. On the racing comet I just have a light alloy sheet cover with a open clutch

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Love it! Did think about an 8mm alloy 'gasket' if upping the belt width, standard cover though, what's a good width Vibrac?

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
just connecting the dots here ...'oldracer', that gorgeous comet? Reason I bought mine in the first place if its one of yours...anyway, any problems with over-heating with belts? Less heat the wider they are? -possibly in racing I'm thinking, but not so likely for road use -kind of like the protection from stones of a full cover etc...mindyou have a Scooby STi sitting in the back of an 80's T25 VW, belt open and never had issues and done big miles across Europe at speed, engine does face backwards though!

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I run 27 or 30mm belts on two 750 pre unit Triumphs and a Norton Atlas no problem and a 40mm one on the Norvin with Mk11s etc, only the Atlas has chaincases though. I've had the earliest on for about 30 years. A Haywood drive on one Triumph and I don't know what the other is as I didn't fit it plus Norvil Commando ones on the Norvin and Atlas. As regards gearing it's really the overall gearing that matters a little lowering of the primary ratio and raising of the secondary won't matter. I have a couple of bikes with big JAP engines and Norton boxes and I have 24t gearbox sprockets on to get the gearing up as their case too big an engine sprocket and the engine wouldn't turn over fast enough on the kickstart to start.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Good to know Chris -thanks for info. Mindful that the inner primary case, gearbox side where I have the 18t drive sprocket, on the gearbox mainsheet, looks to only be able to take up to a 21-22t at most without mr dremmel getting involved -be fine I suppose. The belt I was looking at was a 25mm width one, whole caboodle fit neatly into the case then, its road going, around 32hp so I think no real need to fit a wider belt for racing purposes? Not sure if that equates, but its not hugely powerful I wouldn't have thought. Ideally with final drive, rather get the ratio pretty spot first throw, rather than an endless and potentially expensive exercise in 'guess the ratio'...done that too many times, fingers burnt and all that.

Kickstart rotation!!! Eeek. Never even considered that one -thanks for flagging that up. Phew

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Here is my Egli Comet Primary the cover had been butchered by someone who wanted the ESA 'dome' and had drilled it off with a ring of holes I converted it to a forward air scoop to get some air into the case (exit at rear) bit of bling really to use up a scrap item since Inever had heating problems with the Flash but then 20-30 mins is about max running time for that .
You can see there is no inner chaincase just a alloy plate for all pickup points and prop stand. You can just see the 1" strip spacer

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Like the scoop! Things folx do...when I got my basket case, and knew little about Vincents, other than uncle had one when I was a kid near Tamworth NSW, remember the figure from the tank. Soon came to realise that the basket had some bloody big holes in it. RFM had two broken ends and the pivot bearing casting cut of??!!! (did think about making one, pig Iron casting etc...Have equipment, just don't have bucket loads of the most precious component -time), Anyway money saved from projects like this, new rear stay castings sold on F-bay the other day too, in the pot towards a new RFM eventually. Enjoying the ride of putting it together, with all the challenges -"Zen and the art of Vincent Maintenance" so to speak.
Airflow, good to have on a road machine? -You put yours properly through their paces mind, I'm looking at the Monmouthshire/Gloucestershire/South West and Welsh hills -A/B roads, just plain all day meandering.