Comet - Primary Chain

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I was told today of a product called "Linklife Chain grease". The bloke who mentioned it was nearly as mentally dilapidated as I, but it may be worth you searching for it, as I can't be bothered ! Otherwise, the good folk at U.M.S. Transmissions in Bayswater may give good advice- and they stock Tsubaki chain an' all! I still think "O" ring chain is unnecessary, as well as being heavier and wider than standard 530. Chain bar oil is probably as good as anything in my opinion, but as usual I patiently await the censure of my peers.

The only manufacturer that I have managed to find that makes Motorcycle Chain Wax is Putoline Chain Wax 1kg. Despite its name, it is the traditional motorcycle chain wax (not the wax chain lube in a spray can). Big metal tin (24cm by 7.5cm), that has solid wax, heat up the tin, the wax melts and penetrates deep in to the chain. I have not found a supplier in Australia but you can buy it on the internet, search for Putoline Chain Wax 1kg, the 1kg bit is important since you do not want wax chain lube in a spray can (which is totally different, more like chain oil!). I am about to purchase mine from these folks in New Zealand www.bits4bikes.co.nz though these folks can also help out http://www.motozone.co.nz/

Chain wax still by far the best way to lubricate a non-o ring chain saving you not only a fortune in new chains and sprockets (chain and sprockets will last much, much, much, much longer), but also keeps the chain in a near new condition, so resistance does not build up anywhere near as much (more power at back wheel). BUT Chain wax cannot be used on O, X or Z ring chains, since it would melt the rubber of the rings. The chain wax can be used over and over again (since it uses very little wax per chain), so one tin will last a very long time, will not age and will be good for many, many years.

Martyn

john998

VOC Member
Having used link life grease to boil my chain years ago, I discovered that all it does is act as a glue for all the road dirt that it works in.
Also even careful boiling did not get it into every bearing, found rust when chain split.
Best by far is a Scott oiler, it looks to flush the chain clean on a continuous basis. John.

highbury731

VOC Member
On my Super Rocket I fitted a pipe from the oil tank breather vemt down to the chain, and it kept the chain moist. The chain guard was a good one which kept the muck off the chain.

On another bike I fitted a Scott oiler, and ran used engine oil through it. Lots. It kept the chain clean and well lubed at all times. It also coated the registration plate, and I got to find out how dirty it could get before I got pulled and given a producer.