Misc: Everything Else Comet: primary chain oil leaking out mainshaft hole behind clutch

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The only thing with the Primary level for me is, Because the level and the drain are so close,
I am not sure how to check it ?, I think it should be when the Bike is on the ground,
So if you had a sidecar etc,
Can't see that it should be done on the rear stand ?,
I made a "D" Stand a few years ago, And checked it on that the other day,
But as long as the chain lower part is dipped in oil I think it will be OK ?,
But if overfilled you will have a leak !.

vibrac

VOC Member
I fail to see how a sliding seal that moves in a straight line can work with a Comet because as you move the gearbox (to adjust the primary chain) the gearbox main shaft moves in an ARC!

Martyn
The bike (Trials Chain cam) has a Albion gearbox not sure how its adjusted (Yet") in the tubular frame
"Maybe in one of the 100 photos we took

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I fail to see how a sliding seal that moves in a straight line can work with a Comet because as you move the gearbox (to adjust the primary chain) the gearbox main shaft moves in an ARC!

Martyn
Maybe enough slop in the guides to allow the small deviation from straight? I don't have actual measurements, but I calculate that if the G/B swings 50mm and the pivot and the free end are 150mm on center, the slop needed is approximately 2mm.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I could go and measure it but a bit chilly out the back, but like Bruce says it's not a lot of vertical movement required, on reassembly I had been thinking of fitting a grommet in the hole after enlarging.
bananaman.