Misc: Everything Else Comet: primary chain oil leaking out mainshaft hole behind clutch

Bradley Burt

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thank you all for the replies. The comet has a brand new Honda Clutch. Currently has ATF up to the bottom of the primary chain as recommended by Conways.

greg brillus

VOC Member
On Dave's Clutch I had to shim the springs on account of the clutch slipping due to the increase in torque from the bigger engine (my racer is worse as the engine is bigger again) so a slippery oil will only make that issue a bigger one. Sometimes you have to go with what works.........You modify one thing and something else down the chain gives trouble.......Nothing new there.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
When I was racing my Comet , I used a Load of Commando sintered bronze plates,
I hand cut them to Burman splines, They did gum up after a bit and I had to wash them off,
But my poor old hands can't use a heavy clutch now, So for the road, Am back to standard plates.
One time Dave Jones and me entered road and race class each !! On my Comet,
for a 1/4 mile sprint at Santa Pod, She had a hard day that day !.

vibrac

VOC Member
You would go a long way to beat a Newby Clutch its only available with belt drive (I once checked with Bob himself) but if you were a chain fanatic it would not be beyond a Vincent person to piggy back it on a Comet chainwheel

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I was having issues with clutch 'sticton' or drag with my clutch. After consulting the experts in clutch friction materials at EBC in the UK I was told by them that ATF should NOT be used in a motorcycle clutch as will cause the formation of gums on and IN the friction material and the only fix is to replace with new, not ATF contaminated bits.

Their recommendation is to use a motorcycle specific transmission oil, they mentioned Motul TransOil 10W30 and I have used it ever since.

FWIT I have attached the latest instructions for setting up a 'conways' honda clutch in a Comet.

Martyn
In my experience with the Comet clutch using ATF in the chaincase works initially but after a while it leads to sticking plates. Now like Martyn I use Motul TransOil, which seems to be satisfactory.
Leaving the Comet parked on the left side propstand for any length of time is likely to cause engine oil to seep into the chaincase.

Hugo

greg brillus

VOC Member
Unless the bearing design is different for the road version, which i seriously doubt there is........I would not be inclined to use a Newby clutch on a road bike......... I don't feel the hub bearing is able to last long in service.

oexing

VOC Member
Sealing a gearbox input shaft when you got a primary chain to tension you obviously cannot have a typical shaft seal as it will never be concentric to the shaft. So you could do an easy mod and have a v-ring, no metal in it, on the gearbox shaft or chain sprocket , axially sealing on a stainless plate or on the alu inner cover, no problem. The lip is very soft and mounted in the oil side , effect is like a slinger seal. So then you can have some range for tensioning the chain as long as the lip stays on the ss plate. My photos show same place on a prewar Horex primary - and a Kawa clutch on it, with a v-ring sealing on a ss plate.

Vic
V-ring
P1030165.JPG

P1030170.JPG