Misc: Everything Else Comet: primary chain oil leaking out mainshaft hole behind clutch

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Oil pulsing out of the hole is a symptom of the problems I described. Sealing the hole will give you a different problem.
There is a different source of slight oil drips in this area as both the Comet breather pipe and the chain oiler deliver to this area. The drips and dribbles that these may produce are very slight compared with the half pint pulses that a descending piston can blow out of an over full primary chaincase. I have only experienced the pulsing oil overflow once and it was completely cured by draining the crankcase and primary chaincase, curing the slumping and starting again with a correct chaincase oil level.

Dave Hulstone

VOC Member
I have my breather and chain Oiler pipes connected to 2 pipes running to the back of the bike. I can tell my problem is eminating from my primary chaincase because the oil leak is atf red.

Dave Hulstone

VOC Member
The bottom end has been together since 1977,
Used for road and raced when the twins went bang !!,
Standard gearbox and clutch,
Super little Bike, Just wish they were little faster,
Can't see why they were not made as 600 cc, Like a Panther ?.
I agree William. If I hadn’t converted mine to a 600 I don’t think I’d use it half as much. I remember when I first rode it in anger, not just to work and back, in 07 around the tt course chasing my dad on his Shadow, I thought what a sweet handling bike. If only it just had another 10horse power....

manxman

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
RapHRD, see issue 37, page 20 of the Oz Vincent Review. This covers the Ken Phelps solution to your issue (a simple flattened bit of aluminum from a Coke can, as mentioned above). MartynG was kind enough to point me this direction in an earlier thread. Hope it’s helpful.

I have similar issues with my Comet. Will resolve this winter and intend to use this method.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well Dave , You have solved your own problem !!,
Don't use ATF, It's too thin !,
Should be engine oil.
I was timed on my Blue Road Comet at 99.8 mph On a flying 1/4 mile once,
But I nicked the cylinder head and 36 mm Dellorto Carb off my Special.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have electric start on my Comet a mainshaft/chaincase oil seal and a Honda Clutch the level is correct and I have not noticed a leak.
The real answer is like my Flash and Comet Racer a belt drive unfortunately that's not possible with an electric start (yet!)

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hmmm I almost look for a dark corner when my name is mentioned.......... With the newer electric starter kits the machined hole through the inner primary cover is slightly larger than the original oval ones. My guess is that it was easier to simply machine a round hole than program the CNC mill to cut an oval one. The good thing is the surfaces are nice machined alloy.......I'm not familiar with this 'Coke can trick" but I found an easy way is to measure quite accurately the distance gap from the case hole to the back of the large hardened clutch shaft washer, probably around the 2mm mark.......and make up a nice disc shaped washer from rubberized sheet cork, then glue this to the back of the steel washer.........remember that the shaft does and needs some end float, so don't make the disc too thick, it just needs to kiss the alloy housing of the inner primary cover and create a seal......... I carried out this mod not so long ago on a prewar Comet and it worked well........On that particular bike I did use ATF in the primary as using engine type oils was too slippery and i could not stop the clutch from slipping.........This is where ATF should be used if the clutch strength is marginal.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Well Dave , You have solved your own problem !!,
Don't use ATF, It's too thin !,
Should be engine oil.
I was timed on my Blue Road Comet at 99.8 mph On a flying 1/4 mile once,
But I nicked the cylinder head and 36 mm Dellorto Carb off my Special.
I was having issues with clutch 'sticton' or drag with my clutch. After consulting the experts in clutch friction materials at EBC in the UK I was told by them that ATF should NOT be used in a motorcycle clutch as will cause the formation of gums on and IN the friction material and the only fix is to replace with new, not ATF contaminated bits.

Their recommendation is to use a motorcycle specific transmission oil, they mentioned Motul TransOil 10W30 and I have used it ever since.

For info I have attached the latest instructions for setting up a 'conways' honda clutch in a Comet.

Martyn

Attachments

• FITTING CONVVAYS HONDA CLUTCH V2.pdf
    354.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator: