Misc: Everything Else Comet Pazon, Alton, Mikuni Strange Misfire/Power Loss

revderek

Forum User
VOC Member
Read below for a partial diagnosis and fix but not a solution yet.
History:
1950 Comet, Amal always flooded on and off since purchased in 1969. 6v electrics, Lucas mag.
2004 upgrade 12v Alton generator.
2020 (June?) fitted Pazon Smart-fire and fitted battery key-switch. Converted all lamps to LEDs. Ran like a dream except flooding carb.
2021 Then, September, suddenly started a misfire/power loss about 55 mph (88kph). Drop back speed and correct power restored. Serviced Amal carb. retimed ignition, checked all wiring, plug (gapped 30 thou), valve clearances. No improvement.
2021 November, fitted Mikuni VM28-49. Carburation brilliant but misfire/power loss continued.
Symptoms:
Slightly rough running at tickover but acceleration great through the gears but between 50 and 55mph the power drops way back and not exactly a misfire but certainly seems ignition related. Bring the throttle back to let it settle and it seems fine until trying to accelerate through again. I discovered with the bike electrics disconnected so only the battery, key-switch and ignition in circuit it performed better than ever but as soon as the alton and its regulator were re-instated the symptoms returned. Changed the regulator. No change to symptoms.
Output from Alton >25ACv (unloaded). Regulated output 11.3-13.03DCv with less than 0.5ACv ripple (loaded with battery).
Always, remove Alton and symptoms disappear, replace with either regulator and they return. AC output leads from generator good condition externally.

So, folks, where next? Any ideas? Clearly plug and ignition per se is OK because I get normal performance when the generator is out of the picture. The fact that the problem disappears rules out the rev-limitting function of the Pazon. It's not the regulator because swapping makes no difference. Is the minimal ripple at higher revs upsetting the ignition? When first fitted, there was an intermittency in the circuit and that upset it but fixing the connector removed that problem and, until September it ran perfectly. (I wonder about 30thou gap itself - any comments? - but that's not relevant to the problem because it runs properly without the generator.)

As an aside, each of the upgrades alone was well-worth it and the bike is a first- or second-kick starter every time. The lights are brilliant and the carburettor flood-free (and easy to fit - thanks Steve, Motocarb, UK).

Last edited:

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
A comprehensive description of what is happening and one would think that the alternator must be the problem as the bike functions well without it fitted. A real conundrum. You say you have changed the regulator. Were both the regulators of the same type. Maybe try a different type of regulator or even a different Alton if you know someone who might let you use theirs for a short test?.
Does any of the wiring from the alternator/regulator pass close to the Pazon wiring where it might interfere with the signals?

oexing

VOC Member
Regulator DC voltage at 11.3 - 13.0 V seems a bit low . I´d like to get 13.8 - 14.* V with some load on it, like battery connected. Get a different regulator which outputs nearer 14 V and see what that does to the ignition. Best and most reliable ignition is contact breaker type with spring ATD - like more than 15 million VW beetles had , plus x millions other cars till into 80ies.
For regulator I like the set 3phase rectifier plus converter to 13.8 V . No heat problems at all, just a bit of alu plate for the rectifier when having more than 200 W out of alternator. And you get more power from the Alton as you don´t cut output at 14 V , instead let it produce 40 - 50 V, whatever, and only then convert it to 13.8 V .

13.8 V converter

3ph rectifier

Vic

erik

VOC Member
I would take a full charged battery and connect it direct on the ignition. then it should run without any misfire. If not the ignition is the problem.Happy new year ! Erik

oexing

VOC Member
An easy way of testing the Alton for performance is to hook one or two quartz bulbs to the Alton AC output wires, no need for DC here. Also connect a voltage tester to the lot and start engine. Rev it till you see max. 14V AC and hopefully the bulbs will be nicely bright as expected from an Alton. So then the alternator will be allright and the regulators are below specification.
Anyway, the stated 11.3 - 13 V are too low for charging batteries, you want 14 V from decent engine speeds, else something definitely wrong in the system.

Vic

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
First off I would knock the spark plug down to 20-25. Some motors just don't like too big a gap. After that you are most likely looking at spurious energy radiation- something is "talking" to the ignition box. If you have such a box of electronicals, wrap it in tin foil to shield it. If the coil is mounted close to the ignition box this is another one to watch for.

oexing

VOC Member
Again, 11 - 13 V is very low , so maybe undervoltage from the Alton for the ignition ? That is why I´d do a load test for the Alton without any regulator. Just hook two quartz bulbs to the AC wires from the Alton and see.

Vic