Comet Original Valve-lifter

Phil Baker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Morning all.... in response to the recent discussions ref e-bay and Vincent bits I shall now boldly enquire whether anyone has a spare valve-lifter assembly for a 1950/2 Comet. I recently bought a fairly expensive Rapide assembly from a chap who assured me that it was OK for the Comet.... some bits are... lots are not!

Hope to hear!

Phil in Basingstoke

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The Comet, being a Series "C" machine should have a solid brass "Bowden" lever tapered to a point, like most Series "C" Twins. Earlier and later machines had a similar lever with a snub nose. Eddie Stevens says they were all "Bowden" manufacture. Mike Breeden in the U.S. was making good replicas at one stage. I'm not sure if the Club spares PR15 (the right part number) has the correct "Bowden " clip. The small Enfield and Velo. levers on ebay (about 2" long) are not for Vincents

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Morning all.... in response to the recent discussions ref e-bay and Vincent bits I shall now boldly enquire whether anyone has a spare valve-lifter assembly for a 1950/2 Comet. I recently bought a fairly expensive Rapide assembly from a chap who assured me that it was OK for the Comet.... some bits are... lots are not!

Hope to hear!

Phil in Basingstoke

Phil, did you mean the handlebar lever or the bits and pieces in the timing chest? If it's the internal items then only a few parts are the same as the Twin- viz, ET69FAS Lifter, ET68 Lifter Spindle, ET 172/2 Cable Abutment,ET168 Cable Spacer and 2xET187 Seals. Refer to Parts List drawing MO64 for remaining parts needed for a Comet.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
BowdenPartsListM025.jpgany photos of what you have and what you want?

Hope to hear!

Phil in Basingstoke

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
OK, Craig, I'll get the camera out tomorrow and see if I can upload (oh, I'm SOOO technological!) some photos of the bits that I have. Thanks for your interest.

Regards

Phil

vibrac

VOC Member
Like this?
Ebay item 251221841865 under vintage solid clutch lever

(dont ask me ! I use RE de-compressors. Puting spokes rollers and split pins next to whirling cams and spraying oil out of timing covers was not Vincents finest design feature IMHO);-)

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
OK, this is what I have. The cable is also present. All bits are in excellent condition and the relevant parts have been recently stellited, so I was told. I'll look on the parts lists and specify what I need in a minute!
Phil

P1010878.jpg

craig

VOC Member
I cant advise quickly on the internal pieces, but generally Vincent people are concerned about the hand lever for ex lifter. Both eras (46-49 & 50-54)are Bowden hand levers and you require the later version with a "forked" lever as shown on Ebay, quite often lately.
attachment.php
The parts list shows the early Bowden hand lever with a "forked" bracket.