Comet oil level

Russell Icke

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Any idea how long you need to run the engine up for to see if it’s wet sumped? Oil level just below the cross brace in the oil tank but wondering how much to fill and when I’d know if it’s all circulated back up

timetraveller

VOC Member
If it has sumped badly you will know within a minute or less as the exhaust will emit a lot of smoke. If only slightly sumped then a few minutes will do it and once you see air bubbles coming out of the top return aperture then at least you know that you are down to where there is some air in the sump. If you are prepared to ride the bike then a few miles will clear it. Alternatively just open the sump drain, collect what runs out and then see what is left in the tank.

vibrac

VOC Member
For racing and short trips just covering the cross brace is what I always aim for, never forget that 15 miles before oil is warmed was all most certainly established with more oil than that.
I always drain the sump after a layup of a month plus and in my experience it all depends on where the plunger stops whether the sump fills or not so dont think that one dry sump means it will be the same next time....

Russell Icke

VOC Member
For racing and short trips just covering the cross brace is what I always aim for, never forget that 15 miles before oil is warmed was all most certainly established with more oil than that.
I always drain the sump after a layup of a month plus and in my experience it all depends on where the plunger stops whether the sump fills or not so dont think that one dry sump means it will be the same next time....
thanks for the info and one last question.... what would you refill it with? Could I use Castrol 50?

Russell Icke

VOC Member
If it has sumped badly you will know within a minute or less as the exhaust will emit a lot of smoke. If only slightly sumped then a few minutes will do it and once you see air bubbles coming out of the top return aperture then at least you know that you are down to where there is some air in the sump. If you are prepared to ride the bike then a few miles will clear it. Alternatively just open the sump drain, collect what runs out and then see what is left in the tank.
perfect thank you

Albervin

VOC Member
thanks for the info and one last question.... what would you refill it with? Could I use Castrol 50?
Lots and lots of opinions on oils. Do a search (top right hand side) and be prepared to be confused. A Vincent doesn't need heavy oil. The oil tank receives a good blast of fresh air when riding. Personally I think you will find a straight 50 will make for harder starting and achieve little else. Good luck.

Albervin

VOC Member
Well Bill, I am sure that has confused Russell. :) But you are right as far as the UK goes. Over here most of us use a multigrade because the weather varies a lot. For instance, today is 20ºC and Thursday is predicted to be 40ºC. OK!! Who rides when it is 40ºC ?? I tend to use Penrite HPR50 all year round as it seems to do the job. No, it is NOT 50w which is even more confusing. I think the real "trick" is not to over fill the tank as it then takes way too long to reach operational temp. We tend to use the bridge piece as the level if we have a leak free and smoke free bike. There were some bikes at the International that needed a supplementary oil tank due to smoke and leaks. Also, I change oil after 5,000Km or once a year, whichever comes first. Filters I change every second oil change. It is cheap insurance.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I watched a TV show some time ago, And they filled a NEW built Harley with 60 !! in the winter,
Got it from a container by the front door, ( Really Cold !), Which made it even thicker,
Bit like the blokes who built it, Then tested it on a Dyno, Lots of rev's and ,
BANG.

vibrac

VOC Member
Now I guess old forum readers reached for their tin hats when they read that innocent question.
If all things were equal there is only one oil ...R I have had many instances where I am sure it has proved the best lubricant. R30 is my preference But R40 is OK you only have to look inside my race engines to see how clean they stay. For the road however the big problem is availability obviously I run my KSS vello on R with a can strapped to the battery platform but I don't go touring on that. And the flash may go for a gallop but I alas my road Comet has to use mineral oil I use Halfords 20 50 classic and change it a lot. The alphabet twin was always on R on the road but that's now racing.all my other old bikes use Halfords and modern bikes synthetic
A lot of my old R goes into fairy liquid bottles for cutting tools taps and dies