Comet Oil Leak

YFCtony

Forum User
VOC Member
I have just refitted the head to my 51 Comet, it has had new value guides fitted. Since fitting it an oil leak has developed. The oil appears to be coming from under the front left hand cylinder nut (if you are look at the engine, other side to spark plug). Has anyone come across this problem before? If so what is causing it? as I don't see how oil can be getting to this point.

Many thanks

Big T

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Tony,

It may be coming from your oil tank, particularly the oil cap. check carefully for tracks on the oil tank spout and the side of the tank above the nut.

David.

craig

VOC Member
I have just refitted the head to my 51 Comet, it has had new value guides fitted. Since fitting it an oil leak has developed. The oil appears to be coming from under the front left hand cylinder nut (if you are look at the engine, other side to spark plug). Has anyone come across this problem before? If so what is causing it? as I don't see how oil can be getting to this point. Many thanks Big T
Yes, My Comet does the same , slight weep at front left cylinder base. I am watching and just cleaning at this time.
Craig

nkt267

VOC Member
Oil can even get up the timingside rear cylinder bolt and creep all round the head joint..john

YFCtony

Forum User
VOC Member
Tony,

It may be coming from your oil tank, particularly the oil cap. check carefully for tracks on the oil tank spout and the side of the tank above the nut.

David.
Thanks for that, I thought at first that was the problem. But I had the fuel tank off a couple of times and cleaned the whole area, including the underside of the tank. The oil appears only to be at the front of the nuts, which makes me think it is not dripping down from somewhere.

Tony

YFCtony

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi
Yes, My Comet does the same , slight weep at front left cylinder base. I am watching and just cleaning at this time.
Craig
Hi Craig,
Mine more than a slight weep, it may be as you say something I will have to watch and clean.
Tony

clevtrev

VOC Member
It can only be the rear righthand one, because Comet cases, unlike twins, the stud holes are not drilled through into the chamber.