• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Comet Oil Leak

YFCtony

Forum Website User
VOC Member
I have just refitted the head to my 51 Comet, it has had new value guides fitted. Since fitting it an oil leak has developed. The oil appears to be coming from under the front left hand cylinder nut (if you are look at the engine, other side to spark plug). Has anyone come across this problem before? If so what is causing it? as I don't see how oil can be getting to this point.

Many thanks

Big T

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Tony,

It may be coming from your oil tank, particularly the oil cap. check carefully for tracks on the oil tank spout and the side of the tank above the nut.

David.

craig

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
I have just refitted the head to my 51 Comet, it has had new value guides fitted. Since fitting it an oil leak has developed. The oil appears to be coming from under the front left hand cylinder nut (if you are look at the engine, other side to spark plug). Has anyone come across this problem before? If so what is causing it? as I don't see how oil can be getting to this point. Many thanks Big T
Yes, My Comet does the same , slight weep at front left cylinder base. I am watching and just cleaning at this time.
Craig

YFCtony

Forum Website User
VOC Member
Tony,

It may be coming from your oil tank, particularly the oil cap. check carefully for tracks on the oil tank spout and the side of the tank above the nut.

David.
Thanks for that, I thought at first that was the problem. But I had the fuel tank off a couple of times and cleaned the whole area, including the underside of the tank. The oil appears only to be at the front of the nuts, which makes me think it is not dripping down from somewhere.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 8yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.