Comet, Norton thingy.

coomo

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Guys.Finally managed to start "rebuild" of my Comet engined Norton Wideline.Bike was bought during a drunken Ebay moment, about 5 years ago.
The dry build has been completed by well known forum member here "Roy The mechanic" great to have a mech on board who understands the breed, and instills confidence.
Anyway, this will be the first on many questions, ill be asking im sure! Firstly does the site have acess to an exploded parts diagram? a link would be appreciated.
Secondly, can someone identify this screw in bottom of case, and its function? Many thanks.

Attachments

• comet screw 002.jpg
    comet screw 002.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It's a plug in the end of an oil gallery drilling.

Join the Club, Buy the books. I know it is pricey but the Alternative Spares book has exploded views with part numbers of practically ALL of the machine, I haven't counted but I bet it is around 50 drawings!

vibrac

VOC Member
I belive that the late Malcolm Elgar rather than 'thingy' called his Comet Norton Dominator a ConDom

davidd

VOC Member
There is an oil scraper built into the back of the crank case. It collects all the oil in the engine sump that is flung or pushed by the fly wheel. The oil pools in a separate chamber at the very bottom and back of the crank cases. The oil is sucked into the pump by an oil way that is drilled through that hole with the grub screw in it. So, if the grub screw is taken out, the oil in the chamber pours out and the oil pump will not be able to scavange, gravity will do so instead and a generous amount of oil will be supplied to your rear tire.

The grub screw was not intended to be removed, which is why yours looks pretty rough.

David

coomo

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It's a plug in the end of an oil gallery drilling.

Join the Club, Buy the books. I know it is pricey but the Alternative Spares book has exploded views with part numbers of practically ALL of the machine, I haven't counted but I bet it is around 50 drawings!
thanks I will,already a member!