Misc: Everything Else Comet Needs Electric Starter

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Needed to install an E76 shim (0.030") at crank to realign sprocket where the OEM position.

NeedsStarter26.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Marked position of outer cover web section (2mm x 8mm) to be removed.
I marked one end of piece using my hole/hole alignment previously pictured.

NeedsStarter22.jpg

Then I cut out the section, crudely , with my trusty Dremel.

NeedsStarter25.jpg

The starter gear appears to have adequate clearance.
As advised by Greg.

NeedsStarter24.jpg

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Sometimes you can read too much on here :oops: I thought well its almost halfway through the riding season I did not worry a lot about sealing up the chaincase just the normal sealing of the cover so (worried of Bedfordshire) Id better take a look having never taken the cap off since building it...
Chain OK cant see the bottom run for oil (mainshaft oil seal mod used) I really should not worry so much.

craig

VOC Member
Installed the Comet clutch basket/hub, torqued it down and locked the stud numbered 5 to one side. I had to tap the the base of the stud counter clockwise to free it up.

Numbers 1 thru 4 had to be removed to install the starter chain..............and also to drill out the
poly rub block to allow enough slack in chain.

NeedsStarter29.jpg

A lesson learned when installing this small starter chain. I found this position was best for me to allow master link to assemble. I can not explain all the nuances required to get this master link done, cursing seemed to help me.

NeedsStarter30.jpg

The top hole of the poly block required me to drill out to 10mm to allow adequate starter chain slack/clearance.

NeedsStarter31.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Purchased Loctite 243 for this new Alton supplied crank nut and future projects.
What torque value should be applied to this 1¼"AF=32mm crank nut?
Hammer blows to a well fitting spanner = 60ftlbs? more?

NeedsStarter32a.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
I found a greasy steel ball on the floor yesterday, picked it up and put it on the bench to figure. Was it from a recent Honda S90 steering head ball redo job?

My assembly of this Comet clutch today found the lever was not moving the plates and then a reason came to mind!

NeedsStarter33.jpg

Burman clutch now actuating properly.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Shorai battery on order yesterday LFX18A1-BS12.
This battery model is working fine in Norton Mk3 and Rapide.

Vincent Comet gasket set from Paul Holdsworth on order - pl_holdsworth@yahoo.com
Unfortunately no Comet gaskets in stock, but due in a week or so.
I think Paul has a hotmail address as well, I talked with him on phone yesterday.
Not sure what a "set" will be.

20201102_114323.jpg
CometM038aa.jpg

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
The assemblies I have known all needed a larger hole in the polly block.
It will be interesting to see the survival rate of the 'shock absorber' with a Burman clutch as opposed to a Honda.
Cant give you a torque figure for the nut as the only place on a Vincent I use one is on the head nuts
As I said my impression is that the Comet seems to 'lug' more and I thought that may be the shock absorber feedback. However I did notice today that the rear alloy wheel I pinched from the creation of the racing twin has a neat '46' written on its sprocket and I doubt that it belonged to Rossie so I had better delve into my sprocket store and find a 48 tooth one (that may be harder than you may think as so many are for 5/8 X1/4 chain now.)
And as the great Bob McIntyre once said "speed is no a great concern o' mine"

greg brillus

VOC Member
I'm not entirely sure the nut picks up on as many threads as per original........I would double check.........The nut should ordinarily be done up to 75 to 80 Ft lb's ( no I'm not going to convert that to newton meters for all the metric nuts on here ) At any rate, I generally do them up with a pneumatic rattle gun anyway..........I would also resist using any loctite on it until you are 100 % happy with everything first.

oexing

VOC Member
No need to convert Yard/hundredweights or whatever, I never use torque wrenches, only confusing. My theory is : A lot more bolts were snapped by torque wrenches than by feel on common spanners.
Yes, Loctite on that nut may lead to offensive language at a later stage unless you chose a low strength for peventing unscrewing once preload on nut has disappeared. I´d go for Locite 221 or 222, no "normal" thread lock, too much force on big threads like here. Maybe think about a tab washer that can be removed without force, even on a crank that you´d have to lock somehow unless using a rattle gun.

Vic