Misc: Everything Else Comet Needs Electric Starter

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'd be interested to know if the starter has any seals where the shaft passes into the primary area.......I wasn't able to find that out on the one I had here as I could not get it apart. There is usually a need to "Get things together quickly" when carrying out these mods, so these things tend to get over looked in the process.

craig

VOC Member
Areas of potential leaks?

NeedsStarter13.jpg

NeedsStarter14.jpg

Last edited:
G

Graham Smith

This is a great thread for someone to look at who is thinking of fitting a Comet starter.

It might come in useful for me in a few years time!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Areas' 1 and 2 are likely culprits....... I think on this one, it was leaking from where the starter itself bolts on from behind......The shaft on the starter at position 1 might have a seal, but it could leak from between the two at the joint ....... I used sealant on the cap screws to seal any possible leak from those..........At position 3 I found it best to make up a cork washer and bonded it to the back of the large washer shown in Craig's picture above........The ID of this washer needs to clear the spline shoulder on the main shaft, and ideally it needs to run as close to the large hole in the new primary cover as possible, allowing for any end float in the main shaft. You don't want it binding the shaft.......I used a good quality spray on adhesive (3m product) on both surfaces before assembling the 2 together........Even if the glue fails, it can't really go anywhere, and it definitely stopped the flow of primary oil leaking from this spot.

craig

VOC Member
Greg, I will look at sealing these areas, thanks for tips.

Not much progress today, Norton Club meeting, waaaaay too much beer.
However I am now technically competent.

Modified battery tray and Exide box in anticipation of Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 battery.
Solenoid will mount to bottom of tray .
Positive cable from battery will exit this slot and go to solenoid.
Ground cable will enter this slot to battery ground terminal.

NeedsStarter15.jpg

NeedsStarter16.jpg

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I am a bit lost on the comments on Cable lengths they are all cut and terminated properly and just fall into place. Since I dont feel the need to hide my upgrades I placed the Alton regulator and the relay on opposite sides of the F106 . in retrospect I would place them both on the forward face of 106, but either works and they accommodated my later change from a hulking great lead acid to a neater lithium battery OK as well all in all an easy job.
The comments about the Honda Clutch are valid I had one fitted years ago anyway I do get the impression the starter equiped engine does 'lug' more and I feel like I need to buzz the engine a little more by changing down quicker but my Autumn strip will tell all.

craig

VOC Member
I am unable to find any description of the electrical portion of this Comet starter install.
bracket position, electric cable dimension/runs, fastener uses, many fasteners in a bag, but no obvious use, no picture of finished electrical installation.
In fact, I find all the color pictures, which at first seem nice, to be almost useless because of the back lighting forcing the referenced area to appear too dark to be of use.

If you have installed this Comet system, please post photos