E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I assume somewhere amongst those springs, rods, and foot pedal, there is some sort of slip ring or throw out bearing. I’ll have a look around and see if I can find an exploded diagram. I really haven’t given it any thought, but some sort of threaded adjuster might work. I’m pretty sure the rigid hone setup would be relatively simple. The Sunnen stuff is likely more aggravation than what it’s worth. Probably why you bought the machine.

This will help clear up the doodad in the photo. It’s an ATM (axial throb magnetometer) used for breaking taps. It fits in.. usually a drill press and is used for driving taps. Pull down on the drill press quill ( handle) and the tap threads the hole. Pull up on the quill and the tap reverses out of the hole. Odd and unusual tool for odd and unusual folk who own way too many jets. There are a few whoppers in that rack.
E2CA54BC-D0C6-4269-B1B6-A4E15AB54EB4.jpeg

B8F7C1F2-F442-4DF0-9AD8-9924B9202985.jpeg

Magnetoman

VOC Member
used for driving taps. Pull down on the drill press quill ( handle) and the tap threads the hole. Pull up on the quill and the tap reverses out of the hole.
I'd feel worse about ruining your sleep tonight, but it's your fault I had to get up from the sofa and walk out to the garage to take a photo of my Tapmatic 50X. However, mine only covers the range from a #6 screw to a 1/2" bolt so I suppose if yours does a 4-40 or 5/8" you have me beat and you can sleep well.

Tapmatic.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You have some good tools there, My Garage is already busting !.
Funny, The other day I was going to take the Girls out, And could not open the Electric door !, To get the Car out, I have so much stuff in there, I could not get to the edge of the Garage to see what the problem was !.

I bought a barrel and Piston off the late Pat Cole, I have never used anything other than Specialloid,
So not sure I should use it ?, But I wonder if I can make it more loose with a Flexy Hone, With a drill ?,
I have never used one before, But I like the Piston to be sloppy, Rather than a Nip up,
I have always used Race clearance.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Cyborg started this thread as Comet-Mongrel.
Time to create a new thread for your "Tool Talk" guys.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Cyborg started this thread as Comet-Mongrel.
Time to create a new thread for your "Tool Talk" guys.
Cyborg and I may have temporarily digressed/transgressed, but the last couple of posts were the result of a conversation he and I were having on another forum about honing roller bearing races to change their clearance, a subject of direct interest to this mongrel thread. He's rightfully jealous I have my own Sunnen hone, but I'm jealous he has his Comet so far along.

But, we shortly would have returned to discussing honing of bearings and bushes for Comets (and other Vincents). But, speaking of digressions, somehow Ariels entered this thread without incurring anyone's wrath, so I think Cyborg should be cut a little slack on the content, especially since it's his thread, after all. It's hard to imagine any thread going for 29 pages without an innocent digression or two.

But, I digress...

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Cyborg and I may have temporarily digressed/transgressed, but the last couple of posts were the result of a conversation he and I were having on another forum about honing roller bearing races to change their clearance, a subject of direct interest to this mongrel thread. He's rightfully jealous I have my own Sunnen hone, but I'm jealous he has his Comet so far along.

But, we shortly would have returned to discussing honing of bearings and bushes for Comets (and other Vincents). But, speaking of digressions, somehow Ariels entered this thread without incurring anyone's wrath, so I think Cyborg should be cut a little slack on the content, especially since it's his thread, after all. It's hard to imagine any thread going for 29 pages without an innocent digression or two.

But, I digress...
Nice post, my comment was not meant as a slap on the wrist, a gentle reminder that original thread is "Comet Mongrel". Like any conversation at a club night or in a pub, conversations can stray off-piste. (Guilty myself. :oops: )
Ten or so posts somewhat off topic deserve a thread of their own, easy to do and when looking for information makes searching through 500+ posts easier ...... but as you so rightly say, we digress.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Not trying to sound contrary, but don’t see the discussions regarding tools and equipment being at odds with the thread. My desire to rattle MM’s cage might cause me to wander off topic slightly, but to me tools, equipment, and using that equipment to make tools are pretty much intertwined with Vincent engines. As a result of this discussion I have turned an under-utilized mill into a hum dinger of a tube notcher. Granted I’m past the tube notching part of this exercise, but there was a fair amount of it and now future notching will be less painful. I’m looking forward to finishing this train wreck and moving on to a Lightning replica of sorts. Starting with a pair of NOS twin crankcases that right off the hop will need to be crammed into a milling machine. I can’t see getting through an engine assembly thread without numerous discussions/sidebars about tools and equipment. For me personally, seeing how folks make and utilize tools to assemble these engines is more interesting than the assembly of the engine itself... but then I get excited seeing how people use ingenuity to clamp things into a mill. The lapping/honing thing is still of great interest to me. Although I was able to (I believe) successfully lap the Comet’s new big end bearing to fit by using a setup that would cause Rube Goldberg swoon with envy, it is a subject that is again intertwined (or it should be) with Vincent engines. Taking an off the shelf C3 bearing and installing it in a case without the desired interference fit is questionable. I realize that not everyone has the opportunity to play with this stuff and that causes me some guilt. Not sure it should, but it does.
The A/F gauge thread also got a got a little esoteric or nebulous if you prefer, but I learned a lot from it. Any way...speaking of digressing

vibrac

VOC Member
As a serial digression activist I understand where you are coming from. But moderators are the touchstone and Ed is right if someone in 2 years time wants to learn about tube notching a thread called 'Comet Mongrel' is not the first place to look.... nor indeed items on digression:eek:

Cyborg

VOC Member
I totally get that and searching can be frustrating, but on the flip side, if I were to do a thread on the upcoming engine, does that mean I would have to run a parallel thread about machining the cases, honing the bearings, making special tools, etc. Does the original poster not get some say (within reason) in what the thread includes? If I can’t high jack my own thread with a discussion about related tools and equipment, then to be honest that dissuades me from doing it. Not saying that to be difficult, it’s just that for me, it doesn’t make sense that they should be mutually exclusive.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It's tricky, But I see what Ed means, After 10 posts maybe we needed to be back on track.
Sorry I know I drift a bit.