E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't have a problem with the "D" headstock, Where it fits inside the head bracket, But I would have thought
The older type was more stable to twisting, Wonder if it was cheaper to make ?.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Here's a little program for coping (fish mouthing) tubing.
Thanks for that. Is there some reason why you use hole saws instead of an annular cutter? I know the saws are cheaper, but thinking maybe an annular cutter would last longer? I did end up using hole saws instead of end mills because it was faster and less chatter on the poor old Taiwanese vertical mill, but the saws seem to take a beating.

Apparently the arbor on the Atlas mill has a MT2 taper, so turns out I can just remove the arbor and support arm, pop in a MT2 mandrel with a hole saw or cutter attached. I also have a seldom used 2 way vise, so I think I’m good to go for tube notching. So in one respect I ‘m thankful you posted that photo, but on the flip side I’m wondering why I couldn’t have figured the that out before. Not reading enough of the right kind of poetry?

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I'm told it was to put Ariel forks/wheel on a Comet, they were still attached when I got it, seems a very strange way to go about it though.
As regards names this is my V-twin Norton
32637186_2029118974023355_6191333152619757568_o.jpg

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Is it yours Ed ?, I have seen something like it on youtube, I would have loved to have done something like that, Magic.
No, not mine Bill. My friend Tony built it. He has had the tank painted now and needs to fit the seat and a few other bits and pieces. It should be on the road in the Spring when the salt has gone. I called in to see him on my Rapide and he was just about to start it for the first time. He primed it and it then went 1st kick. The photo is taken from a video I made of it on my phone.