E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My seat unit, Many hours at work, When I should have been having Dinner,
It had a door in the back hump, For battery and tools.

Attachments

• scan0003 (3).jpg
    scan0003 (3).jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 53

Cyborg

VOC Member
Good experience making it though. I could have used a seat like that on the retched Ducati 1098. Easier to manipulate the controls when not busy hanging on for dear life.
I also made a belly pan out of aluminum which is large enough to hold all the oil and my newly installed big end bearing if things go south. I’ll post a photo of it when I get a chance. Flying a different flag for a bit... whenever I mention a motorcycle related purchase to the bride, she just smiles and offers encouragement. As we all know that means there is another shoe to drop somewhere. Yesterday that shoe dropped on a beach about a alloy rimmed 4L/S brake’s distance from my shop.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Good experience making it though. I could have used a seat like that on the retched Ducati 1098. Easier to manipulate the controls when not busy hanging on for dear life.
I also made a belly pan out of aluminum which is large enough to hold all the oil and my newly installed big end bearing if things go south. I’ll post a photo of it when I get a chance. Flying a different flag for a bit... whenever I mention a motorcycle related purchase to the bride, she just smiles and offers encouragement. As we all know that means there is another shoe to drop somewhere. Yesterday that shoe dropped on a beach about a alloy rimmed 4L/S brake’s distance from my shop.

Pictures or it didn't happen!!

Cyborg

VOC Member
Found some on my phone. Rube Goldberg jig for shaping.. TIG welded in both ends which have a similar radius to the wheels. Since been trimmed quite a bit to clear things.
88E33DAB-72AD-4990-B640-89860F7ED77E.jpegA3FC5F2C-5222-416D-B4A7-A72490A3422B.jpeg9E58E29B-E20D-4E0F-87A4-AC4954B2452A.jpeg912470C0-8E98-45C2-8B67-32369F559533.jpeg

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
I keep finding Super Bikes for little money, But the Wife says NO, Maybe I should not ask ?,
I don't think she would know one from another.

Well there is the old adage.. easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.
A fellow I know (if his wife notices) just tells her he’s fixing it for a friend. Seems to have gotten away with it so far.

vibrac

VOC Member
Funny. my wife often sits through bike auctions she loves the drama. it's handy I can always ask what she thinks a bike is worth as a second opinion and generally she is not too far out

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Sounds like I could do with her help next time I'm selling a bike just to remind folx, price on the tag is what it's worth! Like the body work Cyborg BTW, I did same a Bill, heavy seat unit in Fiberglass, looks well, eye of beholder -I like it. On reflection should have used a tapered spun alloy tail cone cut in two and welded to a seat base, and more durable. Got to ask, what inner sealant you intend using on tank?

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks... this is a copy of what I posted in the tank cover thread: “Ethanol free fuel is easily obtained locally, but just in case... the tank is constructed with a marine epoxy instead of the usual resin. The benefits being that it doesn’t stink (which helps maintain marital bliss) and isn’t frightfully expensive. While it is resistant to ethanol, there is some debate about the long term results. The blush from the epoxy was removed and the inside of the tank was sanded prior to assembly. Once cured, the tank was washed and rinsed out several times to remove any new blush that may have formed around the bottom seam. Now it gets a complete internal coating of phenol novolac epoxy just in case I do encounter some ethanol down the road. Using the phenol novolac epoxy for the last layer of fibreglass might have made more sense and I may explore that avenue if there is ever a next time.”

Rather than try and track down a supplier for the phenol novolac epoxy, I just ordered the tank sealer from Caswell https://www.caswellcanada.ca/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html It seems as though any problems are due to bonding issues and that’s why I first cleaned and then sanded the inside of the tank before assembly. They still market this stuff as ethanol resistant as opposed to ethanol proof, but don’t plan on testing it. It is pretty easy to avoid ethanol where I live. There is a Chevron just up the road and their premium fuel doesn’t contain any. It even has a dedicated hose, so you’re not dealing with the possibility of getting whatever grade was pumped by the last customer. It’s completely ethanol free.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Thx Cyborg really appreciated, teach me to read back through threads too :) Haven't seen non-ethanol for quite a while now at the gas stations here in Wales/Bristol, so looking at a cafe tank that will need to be 're-created' in steel most likely, but am looking at alternatives. On another note, Oil in the belly pan, standard pump?