E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No measurements. Pretty much just fit the piece to pick up what existed, but I will say that I have pushed it a bit on some twisty roads and it certainly handles as it should.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Well the project is still alive.. stainless exhaust stub, so header can be held on with springs. Rather than try and hammer a flange, I ran a bead with the TIG around the end and then chucked in the lathe. Will have to make sure the springs seal it well enough to keep interloping O2 molecules away from the air/fuel sensor.
Also making cables. Made a new solder pot from leftover bung welding practice bits and made a birdcage tool. So much easier when you have the solder pot.

197C763A-9C4C-4C59-8757-932D61A43391.jpeg64C735C1-ED32-4C99-97CF-7D90CB8231CF.jpegD83BE119-EEF4-4116-826E-8590EF597B12.jpeg1B6AB222-25BF-45FF-86C7-86275773CC88.jpeg18FDF2AB-0D59-404B-AD8B-36D05A513B0D.jpeg0E9ECAA4-5AB2-4B59-9A3E-C90706BDDB12.jpeg60823CD7-6C62-4354-826D-AA7B57271558.jpeg

Cyborg

VOC Member
I retired my pipe end cap. Too lazy to make a holder, but admire your design. I would be tempted to copy it but actually like the way the alloy one heats up quickly.
I bought some of this flux and maybe it’s just my imagination, but it seems to work way better than the old tin of paste. I have 2 of those vice grip clamps that I inherited. Never been used... I should take them out of the drawer and hang them next to the drill press.
52EAFB82-0A0F-4F66-811A-4780DDD9B131.jpeg

3F64A87C-4350-417B-83D4-64E13CD6D575.jpeg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Making the plug for the tank mold, the tank mold, and then the tank itself was a bit of an exercise. Seat base (made to hopefully compliment the rear of the tank) is 3003 alloy and isn’t quite finished. Have a feeling that I should have stuck with the original plan to make the tank out of aluminum as well, but need to finish this contraption and move on. Although making the tank out of fibreglass was labour intensive, given my experience working with aluminum and equipment at hand, it was a more expedient way of making something to hold fuel. You’ll have to excuse the Japanese bits.

34981D42-BB60-4AAB-A909-71C76002F0F0.jpeg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I like a tank with a bit of shape to it, I made a rear section with seat in Fi glass once, It weighed a ton,
I kept thinking, Put some more on to make it stronger !.

ericg

VOC Member
"You’ll have to excuse the Japanese bits."

Sorry Cyborg, can't do this!:)
Good luck with this great project anyway.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I like a tank with a bit of shape to it, I made a rear section with seat in Fi glass once, It weighed a ton,
I kept thinking, Put some more on to make it stronger !.

The tank is styled after a MV single racer from back in the day. I think it is safe to say using too much glass is quite common. My tank is thicker than it needs to be, basically because I was unsure what I could get away with and didn’t want to go through the vacuum bagging process. Mine is definitely thicker than the current tanks coming out of places like Airtech Streamlining (under 2mm), but similar to an old Manx tank that was made in the UK back in the 70’s. David has suggested something similar to the setup on his Grey Flash and that would be a much better way to go if I wanted to keep the weight down.

Cyborg

VOC Member
"You’ll have to excuse the Japanese bits."

Sorry Cyborg, can't do this!:)
Good luck with this great project anyway.

Thanks

Well I think I have mentioned previously that I’ve been schlepping those wheels/brakes around since 1981. They were sitting in my “someday I’m going to use that” shed and I’m running out of somedays. Whoever inherits this abortion can remove the engine/ gearbox and hurl the rest into the dumpster.

Some nice 4L/S laced to alloy rims would be preferable, so if you’re willing to start a Go Fund Me page it would be appreciated.