E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello cyborg,
I have a similar problem with my Norton box. Do you have a sketch of the new lever that you can email to me?
Your help will be highly appreciated.
Bernd

If you go back to post #460 there are 3 links that have information and drawings of the lever. You need this one.... part number 04-0029 In my case both the pre Commando and Commando levers had two holes.

clutch lever pre commando.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
With my setup, currently there isn't room for a valve stem seal. Barely enough room for the o-ring setup. I would have to shim the clutch over and make a longer pushrod. Will have to do that if I decide to add a radial roller at some point. In fact its so close that I should go back in there and add a shim anyway, so I don't run out of adjustment if and when the plates wear. Didn't have any 6mm rod so ground down the end of 1/4" to fit the o-ring.

Clutch pushrod sizing 2.jpg

Clutch pushrod sizing.jpg

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
I just measured mine and the BCS seal will add .100" to the end of the mainshaft, so if you have 1/8" of rod stickout you are OK.

After my last post about clearance in there, I measured what is remaining after the addition of the seal and there is roughly .050" That means once the plates bed in and wear a total of .050" the pressure plate will come in contact with the seal (O-ring) carrier and the springs will no longer be able to exert any force on the clutch pack. I find this odd, because the seal , as you stated, only takes up .100". My clutch is already shimmed out farther than the stock Commando clutch because of the way that the splines are machined on the Newby clutch. It required more than the usual about of shims to fill the gap between the cupped locating washer and the hub. I could run it the way it is and keep an eye on it, but the adjuster (shown in the photo) isn't all the way through the plate yet and it should be... given that its an alloy plate. I could shorten the pushrod, but the stickup is only .148" and to get the adjuster so it uses all of the thread on the pressure plate, the rod would have to be shortened by .132" which gets the o-ring right at the bullet nose portion of the rod. So..... off with the clutch again and will add another shim or two.
I'm not sure anyone else has any interest in this, but it'll give you a few more things to check before applying the blue locktite to the hub nut. Did you buy a pre commando lever yet?

Pressure Plate clearance.jpg

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Being a very visual sort of person this sort of makes sense and I appreciate the heads up but the clutch is out of the bike now and I will have to put it together and stare at it for a while to really understand. Right now however we have sold the house with a one month closing date and I am boxing up all our earthly posessions and 40 years worth of interesting stuff I can't part with. The Comet is on hold for at least 6 weeks, but I can check that out when we get to our interim digs while waiting for a house to be built. I'll try to get time to buy a pre commando lever, just in case I need it, so thanks for the work done on that subject.

Ron

Cyborg

VOC Member
I find that with even having the bits in front of me that I have to stare at it for a while before it sinks in. Its like using a thinner gasket and tightening down an inspection cap to make more clearance for the rocker...... it can hurt your head thinking about it.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Being a very visual sort of person this sort of makes sense and I appreciate the heads up but the clutch is out of the bike now and I will have to put it together and stare at it for a while to really understand. Right now however we have sold the house with a one month closing date and I am boxing up all our earthly posessions and 40 years worth of interesting stuff I can't part with. The Comet is on hold for at least 6 weeks, but I can check that out when we get to our interim digs while waiting for a house to be built. I'll try to get time to buy a pre commando lever, just in case I need it, so thanks for the work done on that subject.

Ron,
I think with 6 weeks off, You will still be 6 years in front of me !.
Are you taking your Pet Moose with you ?, The one you showed me in your garden.
Good Luck with the Move. Cheers Bill.

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_075840 (4).jpg
    IMG_20190525_075840 (4).jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:

Cyborg

VOC Member
At the risk of insulting the “D” tribe... having them rise up, grab their pitchforks and head my way... that frame looks weird to me.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
At the risk of insulting the “D” tribe... having them rise up, grab their pitchforks and head my way... that frame looks weird to me.
Maybe because it needs another tube , When used on a Comet, Although I have rode it without, But cracks showed in the F106.
Super when used with a Twin, This frame was my Special, From 1975 ish, Road raced and sprinted it, With good results.
Today, Started to make the other tube for the Comet.

Attachments

• IMG_20190603_174956.jpg
    IMG_20190603_174956.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 41