E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes, the diaphragm spring wants to be pretty much flat, not dished in much, they do different thickness pressure plates to help with this but I too have an extra plain plate in.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Yes, the diaphragm spring wants to be pretty much flat, not dished in much, they do different thickness pressure plates to help with this but I too have an extra plain plate in.
I also made a thin shim of the appropriate diameter to place under the diaphragm retaining circlip to take up any excess play in the plate stack.
Bill

Cyborg

VOC Member
But still some Japanese stuff though!
Eric

Front Brake.jpg

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Also playing with clutches on my Comet, leaning towards a commando one, and minor dremelling. Just going back a bit on the thread about gearbox oil leakage onto plates -Not have thought an awful lot of pressure in these old boxes, even when fully sealed with modern gasket sealants, oil weep is much less likely to occur along the rod providing the tiny breather hole in the inspection cap is clear, certainly the case using an AMC box, Atlas unit. Presume Burman would have a similar small easily blocked little breather hole. No need for sealed nut if wear is within tolerances -Easily overlooked, but cheaply sorted with a 1p paperclip!

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Got the "seal" and lifter in the mail today. Definitely less lift and more linear, so will make life easier.

Special thanks to Genedn for donating a pipe to the cause. Just need to modify it and well in the sensor bung.

Clutch lifter arm.jpg
M:S seal.jpg
M:S Seal 2.jpg

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have one of the seals on my Norvin but have been having oil ingress problems on my Dominators belt drive Commando clutch and didn't want to pay the price this time, so I made my own, a standard nut with a washer having a 1/4 clearance hole brazed on concentrically, then cut a 1/4" thick rubber disc to fit inside the nut and punched a 1/4 hole in it (which always comes out smaller, then Loctited the nut onto the shaft just nipping the rubber, 200 miles so far and no leakage, a friend then suggested turning the end of the shaft and fitting a suitable size valve stem oil seal !!
Another useful trick with the Norton box, Araldite a suitable size Dowty seal on the end of the sleeve gear where the mainshaft emerges, the one I've used still allows the sprocket to come off over it.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I have a lathe and a drawer full of seals/O-rings/etc , so no excuse for not making my own... other than I want to get this thing finished and ride it before I croak. I have a spare clutch arm too, so should have just ground one down. My grandfather who came from the Isle of Lewis is probably turning in his grave.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Installed the lifter arm and it reduced the effort by a substantial amount. Total lift went from .143" to .080". That is still way more than necessary, so the ramp could be modified to reduce effort further as I slowly biodegrade.... but all good for now.

Clutch pressure plate travel.jpg

Last edited:

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hello cyborg,
I have a similar problem with my Norton box. Do you have a sketch of the new lever that you can email to me?
Your help will be highly appreciated.
Bernd