E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is something to be said for "oil in frame" setups. Finally got all the bungs and mounts welded into the oil tank. No "stack of dimes" welds on the bungs, but will be oil tight. Welding small round things and maintaining the correct TIG torch angle is challenging. Welded a threaded boss onto the inside of the tool box cover and installed a quick release on the backside.
Oil tank bungs.jpg
Tool box cover release.jpg

Quick latch.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Have you seen my welding ?, It took me 4 goes to seal an Oil Tank, Petrol must be really hard to seal.
But always wanted to try, Maybe one day ?.

Cheers Bill.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks for that Bill. I hadn't seen that one before. Those roll over dies and the dent removal doodad are interesting. There isn't an english wheel in my future so going to try forming the tank in sections using female bucks or forms. As for shaping the alloy into the buck I'll have to see what works. Air driven planishing hammer, hydro forming, or I have an unused hot tub in the back yard.... just need to source the gelignite.
Currently I'm fabricating a belly pan...filled a piece of 1/2" tubing with that cerrobend and formed it into a buck to use for rounding over the edges (the old fashioned way). Don't have a tubing bender and needed a really sharp bend anyway. Currently the pan looks large enough to hold the entire oil capacity of the bike, plus the big end and at least half a connecting rod.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I have built aluminum boats, but it took me a lot longer than a millisecond to make the shape. I have wondered if this technique might be a good way to make a very light sidecar body. The wraps get epoxied so the whole thing is amazingly rigid and the frame weighs less than 18 pounds. Sorry about going so far off track Cyborg...

baidarka004.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
I've been looking for a sidecar for a different project, but haven't found one locally. Making one (something like a Steib) has been on my bucket list for a long time, but not sure I'll get to it. There is a box of Clecos sitting here that desperately need to be put into service, so will likely rivet rather than wrap. That method would work just fine, but might be inclined to use G/flex so it has a bit of give.

Test fitting the belly pan. Wonder if Roy Bacon would be offended....

belly pan test fit.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Yes..... in a previous post I more or less did confess that they wouldn't look out of place on a gay gypsy's caravan (posts 370-374). As mentioned, I may change them, but for now will focus on things that are preventing this thing from rolling down the road under its own steam. Its just an aesthetics/PITA to clean thing as the pegs are firmly bolted to a steel gusset that is welded to the frame.

Cyborg

VOC Member
The intake is pretty much complete. There is very little room, which translates into no room for error with regards to the length and angle of the manifold. There is probably a better way to do it, but... I fixed the carburetor in place with a jig , filled a ziplock bag with epoxy putty and wedged it between the intake port and carb flange to give an exact plug to use to determine the angle etc.

Manifold epoxy jig.jpg

Took some 1.25 x .065 stainless, filled it with Cerrobend, used the press to bend it, and then cut out a piece that matched the angle of the epoxy plug.

Manifold.jpg

Cut out a flange brazed it on. Finished manifold is shorter than one pictured.
Manifold 2.jpg
Manifold 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: