E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
David Tompkins called yesterday and asked me what the racer weighed. I told him 280 lbs. His weight out at 294 lbs. He wanted to know where the 14 lbs was that I got rid of. I had just added more lightness than he did.

David
Helium in the tyres?????

Cyborg

VOC Member
I have no idea what this thing will weigh. Hopefully sub 400 as one of the goals is to have something light and nimble for dodging traffic. I'm thinking the local licensing branch has gone back to selling licenses. ( apparently there were some rogue employees doing that). To really knock off the pounds, I would have to go a different route with the swingarm. The frame is reasonably light, (although never bothered to weigh it), but there is an abundance of bracing on the swingarm. I'd also have to swap out the 3 cast iron brake rotors!
If I had utilized the hours that I've spent fettling so far on collecting pop cans, I could have bought a KTM 390 RC.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Still some fitting and drilling for the filler and bungs left to do. I think the oil tank will be about 2.5 litres, so run with about 2 litres? The belt cover still has to have another piece made so there is a little more room for the clutch and a place to mount the round Vincent access cover.
Oil tank and covers.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Got though about 3.5 feet of weld without blowing any holes in the cover or setting myself on fire. I'm not sure starting with alloy sheet is a good way to teach yourself how to TIG. Just ran about 2.5 inches at a time to keep the heat from warping the cover plus I suck at feeding the rod and dipping at the same time. Welds will be ground down and the cover polished. Not sure if I'm going to use that access cover over the crank pulley (for timing marks) The thing in the middle is a push button latch which will hold the cover on along with some locating dowels.... at least that's the plan.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Given the fact that the cover can be removed with a push of a button, the access covers for the clutch adjuster and the timing marks have become sort of redundant. I like the access cover for the clutch, the one over the drive pulley not so much. I may just replace it with a simple alloy disc.

Cyborg

VOC Member
The location of my oil tank and lack of real estate means that I don't have a convenient filler cap to peek into to determine if all is well with return oil flow. Thinking of a site glass mounted in the return line. I have searched around the interwebs and there are options available, but thought I'd ask if anyone here ((with specials or other brands) uses one or has any suggestions.