E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would have expected a THICKER washer to give more 'head' room inside the cap.
It is counter intuitive, but if you resite some poetry first or smoke some weed, it will start to make sense. With the thinner gasket, it moves the thicker part of the cap (see 3rd photo above showing the area between the black and red marker) down so when the rocker is at the top of its arc it actually has a little more swing room. Similar (sort of) to having to make sure the rocker isn't a full lift when you unscrew the cap.... so it won't foul that thicker part. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it....for now.....

vibrac

VOC Member
In some cases it's better to get the wider portion of the cap further down the only time I have used extra washers is on the valve spring covers when using special valve springs

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It will all be worth it, The poor old Comet needs a bit more, " Get up and go". Just wish I could spend the time in the garage, And get mine done, I seem to have a Mental block, Stopping me from welding the Flywheels and boring them, Fear of messing up !!. Cheers Bill.

Cyborg

VOC Member
It will all be worth it, The poor old Comet needs a bit more, " Get up and go". Just wish I could spend the time in the garage, And get mine done, I seem to have a Mental block, Stopping me from welding the Flywheels and boring them, Fear of messing up !!. Cheers Bill.
The only problem I foresee with the Mk2 is that I was originally going to use a Mk1, but if I remember correctly it had bushings that weren't quite true, so rather than replace the bushings, I just used a Mk2 that was sitting in the bin to save time.... not really thinking about the 7 point something to one piston I had already installed. I'm assuming it might turn out to be a bit of a turd until I get around replacing the piston with something that will generate some higher compression.... but just want to get this contraption running. As previously mentioned, if it turns out to be something that resembles a motorcycle and something that I actually like to ride... then I'll think about spending the money for the 600cc stuff.
Today I just shut my brain off and started drilling and polishing the beginnings of some rearsets. I also bought a folding kickstart lever for the Norton gearbox, but it was a bit disappointing in that there is no detent. It uses friction created by the bolt to keep it from flopping around. Not sure how that is going to work out.
Rearset.jpg
Kick start lever.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
In some cases it's better to get the wider portion of the cap further down the only time I have used extra washers is on the valve spring covers when using special valve springs

I hadn't come across it before even though the twin I have now and the one I used to own, both have Mk2 cams. It really is counter intuitive.... I would get it straight in my head that it needed a thinner gasket, but by the time I was leaving the garage and halfway up the stairs, I was second guessing myself. I had to go back and stare at it a while to get it to stick.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I hope this is the final assembly for the engine plates and swingarm. The swingarm shaft goes through the frame and through the engine plates, so there is a bullet nosed piece of alloy stock temporally holding the swingarm and shims in place. The plan is to tap the shaft through, knocking the bullet nose shaft out while all 4 shims stay in place. Based on a trial fit without the shims (thrust washers), I figured I'd go mad trying to line up the engine plates, shims, swingarm, and frame, not to mention scratch everything in the process if I didn't do something to ease the process.

Swingarm assembly 5.2.jpg

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
The swingarm shaft going in and the bullet nosed alloy coming out. It actually worked without mangling any thrust washers!
Swingarm pivot install.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Speaking of primary drive covers for a Bob Newby belt drive, I made a plug today. Also made bucks for the oil tank and side cover. The belt drive plug is also sized so it will work as a buck if it turns out that I can actually form aluminum sheet.
Oil tank and primary drive cover plugs.jpg