E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Debating about the twin plug head.... Just looking at the casting, it appears like there is a similar amount of material opposite the existing plug hole. I did a search, but didn't come up with much discussion on twin plug heads, although I'm sure it's there somewhere. The process looks like it's pretty straight forward, assuming I can overcome the guilt. Bolt the head to a dividing head. Centre the existing plug hole with the spindle and then spin the head around 180. Anyone out there who has done this recently?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Debating about the twin plug head.... Just looking at the casting, it appears like there is a similar amount of material opposite the existing plug hole. I did a search, but didn't come up with much discussion on twin plug heads, although I'm sure it's there somewhere. The process looks like it's pretty straight forward, assuming I can overcome the guilt. Bolt the head to a dividing head. Centre the existing plug hole with the spindle and then spin the head around 180. Anyone out there who has done this recently?
It's an easy job, I did it with just hand tools, Not for another plug, But for decompressers, Cheers Bill.

clevtrev

VOC Member
You will also find if you only rotate 90 degrees the valve lines up too.

Cyborg

VOC Member
You lost me there... or I lost you. I'm referring to rotating the head 180 (like you would when lapping the head/liner) I think we are say the same thing. Either way, you end up with the 2nd plug hole positioned the same distance from the valves? Sort of like a mirror image, but not quite.

Any comments about timing? The system I have is programable and each plug sparks 3 times, so it should be like the 4th of July in there. I can also buy real (ethanol free) fuel just down the street. Piston is 7. something to 1.

clevtrev

VOC Member
You lost me there... or I lost you. I'm referring to rotating the head 180 (like you would when lapping the head/liner) I think we are say the same thing. Either way, you end up with the 2nd plug hole positioned the same distance from the valves? Sort of like a mirror image, but not quite.

Any comments about timing? The system I have is programable and each plug sparks 3 times, so it should be like the 4th of July in there. I can also buy real (ethanol free) fuel just down the street. Piston is 7. something to 1.
The centreline of the valve is the same as the centreline of the plug hole, only 90 degress apart if you rotate the head through the centerlines.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member

with twin plug try 28 BTDC to start - 26 BTDC may be even better - its a matter to trial

Cyborg

VOC Member
I get 90 degrees now.

No squish band. The object of the exercise is to get this thing to the point where it will run and then make a decision on a frame. If it comes to fruition, and like what I end up with, then I'll see about spending some of the children's inheritance on a head, barrel, piston etc. Probably not the best way to go about it, but a quicker path (for me) to getting it running. The head, barrel, and piston I'm using were already on the shelf so if it ends up to be something that I won't use that much, it hasn't cost me a pile of money.

The cylinder turned out ok. The bore gauge reads .0065" clearance and appears to be straight. A .006" feeler gauge slips in with a bit of drag. Seems strange to me when used to working on stuff that goes in the dumpster at .004" Finished it with 280 stones which Hasting says are ok for cast rings. I may go back a give it a few revolutions with a 220 flex hone.

Anyone have a photo of the jig they use to hold a head in the lathe? I could get away with glass and emery with this one, but a jig will come in handy down the road. I think I have a plan, but seeing one might save me some time.

vibrac

VOC Member
I ran at 24 but honestly now the head is off the racer and being used on the 2020 I recon the hole is more use on the road as a decompressor any way with the BT-H going two or one plug on the racer was no big deal even on the brake we never saw much overall advantage