E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would recommend the first one. He looks a little more dignified. The second one looks like he's still under the ether from being neutered or just lost an argument with a fence post.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Kind of a low tech way to scribe out the inner primary... rubber band holding a marker shoved into a nut, but it seemed to have worked.

Inner Primary.jpg
Inner Primary @.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Not much headway over the holidays, plus Master Petri the mucus machine was visiting for a few days, so recovering from that..... Enough bits arrived, so the timing chest can be completed minus the 1/2 time pinion and the head can be assembled with new valves, springs, seals and rocker feed bolts etc etc..

Comet parts.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Defiantly pushing the limits of the poor little South Bend, but we'l see how it (slowly) goes. The square spacer is an old muff with the fins cut off. It's sandwiched in-between the cylinder and a piece of square plate. The square plate is there so the jaws won't distort the liner. The outer ring is bolted to the plate and the plate is also held in place with a bolt that goes through the headstock and keeps the whole mess flush against the face of the chuck which turns true more or less. We'll see how it goes. If you never hear from me again, you can safely assume it went badly.

Cylinder boring.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Well.... it actually worked. Did the first cut of about .002" and was surprised that it took material out 360 degrees for the entire length of the bore. That tells me that the cylinder jig was running pretty close to true. Piston fitted with .001" clearance. Tomorrow I'll take it the rest of the way with the rigid hone after giving it a good bath.

Cylinder bore first pass.jpg
Cylinder Bore fit to .001.jpg