Comet? MKD 278

Moggett

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have attached a picture taken in 1952 of my father's Vincent which I believe is a Comet.

I've checked on the DVLA vehicle enquiry search facility but it would appear that it's no longer in existance. He bought it around this time, but sold in the early sixties and bought a car because I arrived on the scene. My father died in 1976 but my mother still remembers going out in the sidecar with him - she thinks it was a 500cc.

It would be great if someone could confirm the exact model - and if anyone has any information about this actual bike it would obviously be fantastic. We lived in Liverpool at the time.

I am a biker myself and own a modern big Triumph, along with the my first little Suzuki bought new in 1979. I wish he'd kept this one!!!!!

Vincent - Copy.jpg

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes, its a very original-looking Series C Vincent Comet 500cc single cylinder.

It hasn't necessarily been scrapped. More likely broken up and used for parts in someone else's Comet or quite likely in use overseas, Without frame/engine numbers it would be difficult to take your enquiry much further.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Moggett

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks Peter. I might try writing to DVLA to see if they can clarify. I'm not after personal information with regard to Data Protection but regardless don't expect they'll help. If they do respond I'll post details here.

Moggett

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
DVLA have replied saying that they have no records. I assume whatever it's fate, it happened before the records were computerised? Can anyone enlighten me if Vincent company records exist that could at least give basic details and maybe VIN/engine numbers against this registration. I assume they would have them in the 50's for warranty/sales purposes - or am I being over optimistic?

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Company records would only show show the dealer who bought the machine, the dealers would register the bikes when they sold them.

vibrac

VOC Member
Stage one
Find the area the bike was registered in and the date it was delivered to a dealer
http://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf
cursory glance says MK= "London North East" please check
stage 2 Is to see if the present authority for that area (the same ones that make life unbearable for people in listed buildings and put preservation orders on lino floors) really believe in conserving history
If they do they preserved the original documents (like oxford) if not they destroyed them (vandals)
stage 3 if you are lucky then go to the archive and start looking....

Moggett

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A quick look indicates that it is Liverpool which ties in. According to the link the area code for this registration is 'KD'. I'll see what Liverpool Council say.

Moggett

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I received the following from the records office, not sure if this is as far as I can go. Does anyone have a dealer list for Liverpool covering the early 1950s?

Liverpool Record Office.

We do hold a sample of the cards relating to vehicle registrations but it is only a small sample and I could see no card for the above which would imply it has been in the majority of cards which were disposed of. Sorry.