Comet Metisse

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There was a Comet Metisse at the National Rally last year, which I thought was drop-dead gorgeous. Today I went to visit one of our section members who mentioned it. He said he bought it from "his first father-in-law" and later sold it on. He (the member) thought it was unique. Does anyone know anything about it? For example, was it indeed a one-off frame? I believe I spoke to the owner, but it would have been a more meaningful (and memorable) chat if I'd known then what I was told today.
I have some pictures of it on the memory card for my recently broken Nikon digital - so until I buy a new camera I can't retrieve the pictures!

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Tom, Can you get the memory card out of the defunct camera? You can then put it in a card reader and transfer the pictures to your computer? Card readers capable of reading many types of memory card are available for only £2 or £3 pounds.
There was a Comet Metisse at the National Rally last year, which I thought was drop-dead gorgeous. ...........
I have some pictures of it on the memory card for my recently broken Nikon digital - so until I buy a new camera I can't retrieve the pictures!

Len Matthews

VOC Member
PA040001.jpg[How about this?

Black Flash

VOC Member
As far as I know, the Comet Metisse was a one off built with an surplus Comet engine by Jack Barker and Pat French.

If you want to know the whole story give Jack a call.
Bernd

JackB

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Comet Mettisse Special.

Yes! I was the builder of this special Comet. It all started 24 years ago when an old ex VOC freind of mine ask me to build him a special Comet. The engine has many special features, I fitted a Norton gear box, and another freind of mine built the frame which took us nearly two days to get right!. I put a couple of hundred miles on it then in company with other members we all rode in the Vincent team to the 1989 FIM Rally in Barcelona, Spain. It wenmt extremely well thoughout the whole trip. JackB.

DaveTurner

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,the comet in the picture is mine.I did indeed do the Wolds Run on it this year and what a great day out it was.The bike always attracts attention and it caught the eye of Nigel Clarke from Classic Bike Guide who has since done a photoshoot on it and is doing a feature on the bike,i believe it will be in the August issue. I am in the Lincs section of the VOC.
Regards Dave Turner