Comet kickstart ratio

tom wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all I have been asked (he has a lesser bike ha,ha.) what is the kickstart ratio on my Comet ie. how many turns/revolutions of the engine does one full push on the kickstarter lever give? I know it is approx 1.5 turns of the engine and idea to the exact amount (ratio)/
many thanks in advance

greg brillus

VOC Member
One stroke average of the kick start lever turns the mainshaft 3/4 of a turn........Primary ratio is 30/56 giving a ratio of 1.866666 this equates to the crankshaft rotating 1.4 turns........The kickstart mechanism does not have a down stop so this can only be an approximation. Next..........

tom wilson

VOC Member
One stroke average of the kick start lever turns the mainshaft 3/4 of a turn........Primary ratio is 30/56 giving a ratio of 1.866666 this equates to the crankshaft rotating 1.4 turns........The kickstart mechanism does not have a down stop so this can only be an approximation. Next..........
Thank you Greg that is the info I was looking for, I can now tell him not only is the Comet faster on the road but even faster ....... when kicking it over, ha,ha. cheers

D

Deleted member 3831

Tom, I am not a Vincent owner, and originally registered with the club because I was prompted to do so by Patrick Godet, who I had been assisting with his Grey Flash development for somwe time. With Patrick now gone, there is little of interest for me that would induce me to become a full member, so if you cancell my restricted membership, that's entirely up to you.
Yours sincerely, Ron Herring

vibrac

VOC Member
Tom, I am not a Vincent owner, and originally registered with the club because I was prompted to do so by Patrick Godet, who I had been assisting with his Grey Flash development for somwe time. With Patrick now gone, there is little of interest for me that would induce me to become a full member, so if you cancell my restricted membership, that's entirely up to you.
Am I only seeing 50% of a conversation here?

tom wilson

VOC Member
Hi Grey One I think you may be getting confused and mailing the wrong person, I am only a member and have nothing to do with the admin side. Take care ride safe, best regards.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Mr Herring, Sir; there are still many people in the world of Vincents who are trying to improve these old motorcycles. We do it for fun and general interest. It seems that you know more about cam design than any of us, but remember, that we do it for fun, not commercial gain. So, if you wanted to be involved on an interest only basis then there are people who would appreciate professional input. You would not have to be a member to do that, just be an interested adviser.