Comet/Honda Clutch

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I notice in the August MPH, South West section, there is mention of the clutch centre nut loosening of its own accord despite the tightening of the little grub screw that is designed to stop this happening, is this a well known fault and a common occurrence, I would like to know, and also any solutions to the problem before I fit my newly acquired Honda Clutch.

nobby

VOC Member
I have used the Conway conversion on a 40bhp 600, on a sidecar Comet and on the racetrack. Only the first fitting was a bit irritating but after some fiddling I never had any problem with it. The centre nut was made of inferior aluminium (inferior for its task), but meanwhile the clutches are delivered with steel nuts. Next to the 600 set it was the best thing I did to my Comet since I bought it in the early nineties. When my Comet project nears completion I will buy such a clutch for that bike too.

Black Flash

VOC Member
I am in the final stages of getting my 600 cc Comet ready, mine has a beltdrive with a Norton Commando clutch fitted ( she also has a Commando gearbox). Can't wait to fire it up for the first time. If only there was not this bl***y job that stops me from permanently working on the bike.

Bernd

Pharquarx

Non-VOC Member
I have had my modified Honda clutch installed now in my Comet for about 800 miles. Did it twice at first, just to make sure that I had it right and understood how it was to operate. Am pleased to say that I have had no problems with it whatsoever. It is a beautiful morning here in Southern California and I think I will roll the beast out of the garage and take it for a spin.

nobby

VOC Member
Charlie,
I am jealous! The Comet engines are both showing their intestines and I myself am ill too since a week. Hope to be better coming week and close (and drive) the 600.
Have fun !

nobby

VOC Member
Had my first ride again since 1000 Bikes. It was perfect! Only things that needed attention were the loose Altette and adjusting the clutch cable.
Cannot make it to the Hever, so maybe next is the Annual Dinner? Or the Lakes rally, never been there before.