Comet Handlebar Control levers PR14, PR15, PR16

Vic Youel

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My fifties MCA Catalogue illustrates and specifies a variety of Amal and Doherty levers with either 7/8 inch or 1 and 1/16 inches between centres. Must check my spares to see if I can find any with 1 and 1/8inch spacing which may be a more recent innovation?

Vic

craig

VOC Member
Amal 18/795, 18/796, etc.

My fifties MCA Catalogue illustrates and specifies a variety of Amal and Doherty levers with either 7/8 inch or 1 and 1/16 inches between centres. Must check my spares to see if I can find any with 1 and 1/8inch spacing which may be a more recent innovation? Vic

Thank you Vic, this is exactly what i was looking for. I cannot upload the full file so here is a crop of the Amal standard hand control. Looks like 7/8 and 1 1/16 are the two different center to centers. My measurements were just approximations. I like the Amal part numbers!
thanks
Craig

Attachments

• Amal 18-795 Controlsmall.jpg
    Amal 18-795 Controlsmall.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 63

craig

VOC Member
M025 control drawing

I realize a drawing may not be accurate, but i look carefully at what exactly is pictured for series C Vincent and this is what i see.
1) PR16 Amal front brake lever, pressed steel, chrome plated, 7/8 center.
2) PR15 Bowden lift lever, solid cast, chrome plated, 7/8 center
3) PR14 Amal clutch lever. pressed steel, chrome plated 1 1/16" center

I would like details on Bowden levers.
Anyone help?
Craig

Attachments

• AmalBowdenVincent ControlsM025s.jpg
    AmalBowdenVincent ControlsM025s.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 59

Howard

VOC Member
I realize a drawing may not be accurate, but i look carefully at what exactly is pictured for series C Vincent and this is what i see.
1) PR16 Amal front brake lever, pressed steel, chrome plated, 7/8 center.
2) PR15 Bowden lift lever, solid cast, chrome plated, 7/8 center
3) PR14 Amal clutch lever. pressed steel, chrome plated 1 1/16" center

I would like details on Bowden levers.
Anyone help?
Craig

I don't know if this is any help, but Armours (Bournemouth) have a catalogue of levers, cables, silencers etc etc on-line, that looks as though it was first printed in the 50s.

H

craig

VOC Member
Armours (Bournemouth) have a catalogue of levers, cables, silencers etc etc on-line, that looks as though it was first printed in the 50s.H

Thanks Howard, i found i had to type in an adress for the catalog, their link doesn't work from the page i was on.
http://homepage.mac.com/armours/.Public/MasterCatalogue.pdf
yes , this gets me an understanding of the later part numbers that i assume are Doherty.
anybody have an actual Doherty catalog?
Craig

craig

VOC Member
Bowden lever example

I was able to borrow a Rapide handlebar set for Bowden study. This appears to be a restored handlebar set with perfect plating, so the Bowden looks stunningly perfect!
Is this style Bowden what some of you lucky guys have? Or do you have a "flag style" pivot?

Attachments

• theVincentDotComOEMRapideBowden.jpg
    theVincentDotComOEMRapideBowden.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 59
  • BowdenPartsListM025.jpg
    BowdenPartsListM025.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
To throw more into the mix, I have an original Shadow built in Nov '52 that came with Bowden levers, all three. The valve lifter is 7/8" from center of pivot to center of nipple, while the clutch lever is 1 1/8".

Hi Steve, Can you please post pictures of your Bowden levers on your Shadow?
thank you
Craig

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
A niece moved in with us recently, and the Shadow is currently buried deep in the garage. You can view very good quality reproduction Bowden levers on Michael Breeding's Vincent part site. Note that his Bowden levers do not have what I consider to be a proper Bowden pivot post. Attached are pictures of a Bowden pivot like the ones for the brake and clutch lever as supplied on the Shadow my father bought new. The levers on the Shadow are identical to the photo in your post a couple of posts up this thread.

Attachments

• DSC02163.jpg
    DSC02163.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC02161.jpg
    DSC02161.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC02160.jpg
    DSC02160.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC02162.jpg
    DSC02162.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Bowden lever information wanted

Steve, My research shows the "fork"pivot Bowden lifter lever is the later model Bowden. The single tab or flag tab pivot lever is an earlier version Bowden lifter lever. I cant put a year to it at this time, and i am sure these updates happened when the supplier simply sent the new style levers. The Bowden fabrication of a cast brass or bronze lever seems like pre war design. Where is the Bowden catalog and technical documentation?

I was able borrow another Bowden lifter lever for research. This one seems original with the correct machine screws and nut/washer
Craig

Attachments

• Bowden_3493.jpg
    Bowden_3493.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Craig,
Your 'Thumbnail' of the lifter lever is identical with the one on my 1952 Rapide which I bought in about 1964. Curiously it has a Bowden double choke lever as well. These choke levers are without ball ends and have a splayed flat appearance. Whether these are later fitments or not I wouldn't know. Perhaps the works used Bowden choke levers when there was a shortage of the Amal pattern.