Comet Handlebar Control levers PR14, PR15, PR16

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I unburied the Shadow, in preparation for a ride tomorrow to the grand opening of the Garage Company at its new location. Here are a few photos of the Bowden clutch and lifter levers on the Shadow.

DSC02318.JPG

DSC02323.JPG

DSC02324.JPG

DSC02325.JPG

DSC02326.JPG

craig

VOC Member
Great photos

Thank you for the great photos! I didn't realize you could have larger format photo if you stored the photo at another website. Good Bowden views.

craig

VOC Member
Bowden lifter from earlier era

I was able to look over a Vincent Bowden lifter lever from what, i think , is an earlier era. Maybe pre war?
This lever has heavy castings at the machine screw locations that allow for fully recessed machine screws. No Bowden logo on the strap.

I have seen, what i think is a little later with lighter casting and a steel strap band with logo.

any body have Bowden details?
Craig

Attachments

• BowdenData_3585.jpg
    BowdenData_3585.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 30

Albervin

VOC Member
Steve, they look very much like pre war levers. I appreciate they are 7/8" clamps but the levers are dead ringers for my Series A & New Imperial ones. What is your brake lever?

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
There's a story to the brake lever. My father bought this Shadow new in 1954. It was built in Nov 1952, but didn't leave the works until mid-'53, to Indian Sales, San Francisco. It went to a dealer in Santa Monica (Los Angeles area) where my father lived. I suppose it sat at the dealer unsold until the fall of '54 when my father traded in an AJS and bought it. My father rode it about 17K miles until 1957, at which time it seized a piston. He tore the top end off, and a rod was a little loose, so he pulled the crank out and had an Alpha put in. That was as far as he got, marriage and family life demands occupying his time. As a kid, all I remember seeing of the bike was the front end and UFM hanging on the back wall of the garage, the rest of the parts were buried elsewhere in the garage. But as far back as I can remember, back to the mid-'60s, the brake lever was missing from the handlebar. On a number of occasions, I asked my father where the lever was, and he said someone with a Vin had stopped by and borrowed the lever, of course, never returning it or providing a replacement.

I missed out when the guy in Texas was reproducing Bowden levers, never getting around to ordering one, thinking that he would be making them indefinitely. When I happened to see that Michael Breeding was tooling up to make some, I monitored his website and emailed him that I was interested in his levers. When the first batch was ready, I ordered 3 levers, two brake and one clutch, one for the Shadow, and two for my Comet. I just love the solid levers, and want to have them on the Comet as well, even though the Comet likely didn't come with Bowden levers. I knew from the pictures on the website that the posts Michael was offering with the levers were not correct for a Bowden lever, but the clips that Michael makes are excellent, the Bowden logo is very clear. The levers themselves are also excellent, identical to the one clutch lever I have, properly 'handed' for brake and clutch, of course. I have since found an old Bowden post to complete the Shadow, but I am still in need of two posts to complete the levers for the Comet. I have a lead on a fellow here in LA that does small casting runs, so I may pursue having some posts made.