Comet Gray Flash Replica

Bracker1

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Buzz, Do yourself a favor and check out Godet's machines. Don't know if they are considered replicas, but they might be the most gorgeous machines ever made. I saw my first in person at the NA Rally and have been pining for one ever since. Expensive but worth every penny in my opinion. Friends that ride Comets seem to love them. Hope to see you at the Pennsylvania Rally next year with whatever bike you ride. P.S. don't check my spelling, i like the picture books. Cheers, Dan

Buzz Kanter

Non-VOC Member
Hi Buzz, Do yourself a favor and check out Godet's machines. Don't know if they are considered replicas, but they might be the most gorgeous machines ever made. I saw my first in person at the NA Rally and have been pining for one ever since. Expensive but worth every penny in my opinion. Friends that ride Comets seem to love them. Hope to see you at the Pennsylvania Rally next year with whatever bike you ride. P.S. don't check my spelling, i like the picture books. Cheers, Dan

Thanks for the info. I have line on a Comet Grey Flash replica in California and a Rapide B in NY. While the Rapide is a lot more money (and fully streetable) I am leaning toward the twin. I hope to own a Vincent andhave it running, dependable and ready to ride to the NA Rally in 2011. Wish me luck.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Well, well. Small world. Last time i saw Rob was in France!

(My son was at a rock concert in the S of England, where he now lives. He found himself chatting to someone nearby in the crowd about concerts in general. Turned out they'd both seen their first concerts in Scotland. Both gave their origin as "nearest big town Aberdeen". Making a long story short, turned out they had been brought up in the same fishing village of 35 houses, outside Aberdeen, 200 yards apart, and had both moved out (with parents) about 30 years ago.)

Bracker1

VOC Member
Hi Buzz, Having had a Rapide and now a Shadow, the B Rapide would be the one to go with. I miss my old Rapide, much prettier to look at and was an absolute joy on the road. Polished alloy, HRD emblems, big headlight... I got caught up in the Shadow frenzy thinking they were the greatest and finding out the Rapide might be the best value in Vincents. There is not much difference between the two to warrant such huge price disparity. I think my old Suzuki had a black painted engine. They are faster and alot cheaper. Buy the Rapide, I am now jealous. I forgot what I wanted to say. Good Luck with whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed. Vincents are the best. Cheers, Dan

Buzz Kanter

Non-VOC Member
Hi Buzz, Having had a Rapide and now a Shadow, the B Rapide would be the one to go with. I miss my old Rapide, much prettier to look at and was an absolute joy on the road. Polished alloy, HRD emblems, big headlight... I got caught up in the Shadow frenzy thinking they were the greatest and finding out the Rapide might be the best value in Vincents. There is not much difference between the two to warrant such huge price disparity. I think my old Suzuki had a black painted engine. They are faster and alot cheaper. Buy the Rapide, I am now jealous. I forgot what I wanted to say. Good Luck with whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed. Vincents are the best. Cheers, Dan

Thanks. Your comment help me make my choice easier. The B is getting a fresh top end (new pistons, rings, valves and guides) so I am hoping it won't need much other than to get it back on the road and racking up some miles.

Bracker1

VOC Member
Follow the break in procedure as outlined in Know Thy Beast, I believe it was an article by Kemp, at the very end of the book. Good info on oil priming and such. There is much debate about the oil to be used, so use whatever your rebuilder feels comfortable with. At our section meeting, some of the members use straight Avshell oil,some use Valvoline racing oil, some use multigrade, but all have ZDDP(I think that's the abbreviation) as an additive. Good Luck, Dan

Buzz Kanter

Non-VOC Member
Follow the break in procedure as outlined in Know Thy Beast, I believe it was an article by Kemp, at the very end of the book. Good info on oil priming and such. There is much debate about the oil to be used, so use whatever your rebuilder feels comfortable with. At our section meeting, some of the members use straight Avshell oil,some use Valvoline racing oil, some use multigrade, but all have ZDDP(I think that's the abbreviation) as an additive. Good Luck, Dan

Oil is and has been a hot button topic for most motorcycle riders. It is easy to change and has an important role in engine performance and life.

Trevor Rowlands

Non-VOC Member
Robin was at the recent Lakes Rally on his Comet,sporting an unusal beard, said he did it for charity but still has it, he is now working in Scotland, Mother still in Cornwall, he said they still have Johns Lightning. Trev.Tww.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Shadows are OK, but if anyone really believes that the minor imnprovements over the Rapide are worth 10 bhp, a 25 % increase, then it simply emphasises that half the population are below average intelligence. The Shadow was a marketing concept, and it was brilliantly successful. On average, they were better. If you have one, rejoice: you're £10k better off, and half the population, as dim as they always were, believe they are always better. If you don't have one, tough.
Vincents, like all other contemperary bikes, were selectively assembled. Think about this: there was a continuum, from piss-poor Rapides through to incredible Shadows. In the middle...

Buzz Kanter

Non-VOC Member
I know what you mean. And that was when they were factory new. Now imagine how many sets of hands and tools have been tinkering with these machines over the last half century. And odds are, a few of them actually know what they were doing. Each machine is an opportunity to tinker and only some of the tinkerers should be allowed to. But a lot of the others have been deep into these machines too.

As they say in the carny business... ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chance.