Comet Gearlever Oil Leak

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Grubby copy

Dear Grubby, please post a payment address, Paypal would be best for me!

I see good Svenska information on Vincent Burman gearbox, why does the same not exist in UK?

Attachments

• BurmanBAP1.jpg
    BurmanBAP1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 51

biggles

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A bit late with this but I cured all the leaks on my Burman box by machining an o ring groove in the insert in the cover and fitting an o ring I machined a recess in the serrated shaft and fitted an o ring retained by the gear position indicator.
There is a lip seal that is a direct replacement for the felt washer. I have forgotten the size but can find out if anyone is interested .I also have an original copy of the Burman book and some copies if anyone is interested.
Biggles.

craig

VOC Member
Burman modification details

Hi Biggles, Thanks for your post. Can you provide more details so we can take our covers to a machinist and have these modifications completed? The groove must accomodate a certain oring size? And have a distance from the outside end? width? depth?
Yes, i would request the details on the kickstart shaft lip seal as well. Any other details would be great!
Thank you for posting
Craig
gearselctorshaftoringgroove.jpg

craig

VOC Member
I also have an original copy of the Burman book and some copies if anyone is interested.
Biggles.

I have some books on the Burman, but none are exactly for C series Comet. I would like a copy if it not something I already have , please. thanks
Craig

biggles

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Craig.
If You or anyone else is interested I now work for myself doing light engineering jobs.
I haven't advertised yet as I have been fairly well occupied by doing jobs for people who have heard of me by word of mouth.
I would be able to do these mods for £20.00 plus the price of the o rings and seal which are fairly cheap. also return postage.
All I require would be the insert from the outer cover and the gear selector.
I will however need to take my own cover off to check for sizes or I may be able to work them out from a spare box I have.
I also have to search my records for the seal number.
Let me know if you are still interested.
Cheers.
Biggles.:cool:

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Biggles
when you find out the seal number, I am over in the states and would love to do that mod.
thanks
Peter Allen

biggles

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi all
The seal part number is C R Industries 6720. this does not give you the size as in Gaco (who are now no longer with us)
the sizes are 1" Od 5/8" bore 1/8" width.It is a spring-less lip seal and requires no modification to the standard cover.
They cost in the region of £4.00+ I can supply them for £3.50 each + postage. If enough interest is shown.
Cheers.
Biggles.

biggles

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Regarding the manuals.
I have one original This is a 1960 copy with an original letter from Burmans plus owners notes written on the inside covers.
I also have some copies @£5.00 each + postage and packing I may be able to do some discs if enough interest is shown.
The book covers BA CP and lightweight models. I doesn't cover the Comet specifically but gives all the info needed.
I also have some Photocopies of an article from Motorcycling By Bernal Osbourne on overhauling the Burman with some good drawings and diagrams.
Again I would be willing to get some more copies run off if sufficient interest was Shown
Will have to get a price for copying these.
The original one I was going to put on eBay where they seem to fetch about £18 To £20 If anyone would like to make me an offer in that region + post They can have it.
Cheers again
Biggles:cool:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
A friend told me that he found an Agri-Castrol product called "Self-levelling grease", aka "Pourable grease", which, used in vintage-type boxes like the Burman and Sturmey Archer, (and the worm drive rear axles of Thornycroft cars which leak when SAE 180 is used ), does not leak out. He describes it as a miracle, instant cure. (It avoids the problem of grease thinned with oil, in which the grease and oil do NOT mix, and the oil leaks out.) It has become his "vintage gearbox lubricant of choice". It might not be easy to get in small quantities, but since any farm with a grass cutter will use it in the gearboxes on the cutting discs, doubtless charm and obsequiousness will work as they often do. OK, there's another obstacle, which is that it isn't VERY pourable, and might have to be warmed up to get it into the box.
He also mentioned that farm suppliers hold lubricants in viscosities Halfords don't know exist, like SAE 240, which is potentially useful to know. They probably also stock fling-resistant chain-saw oil, which I know works perfectly in Scottoilers, but is only 1/10 the price of Scottoil.