Comet Gearlever Oil Leak

tim welsh

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've got an oil leak (spheerol) from the gearlever shaft on the burman box. Has anybody fitted a seal of some kind to this and could help with details? The kickstart had a felt seal that I replaced with an O ring behind a staked in cover, so thats OK.
Thanks
Tim

craig

VOC Member
Dont have answer about Shift shaft, but what are the details on kick shaft?

I've got an oil leak (spheerol) from the gearlever shaft on the burman box. Has anybody fitted a seal of some kind to this and could help with details? The kickstart had a felt seal that I replaced with an O ring behind a staked in cover, so thats OK. Thanks Tim

Tim, what did you do, exactly, on the shift shaft? please be specific and reference any part numbers of pieces you used, and the vendors you may have purchased from. I think Burman gearboxes could stand some great improvements. Are there any vendors offering a complete update with seals, kick lever inprovement, shifting improvments?
thanks
Craig

Attachments

• theVincentDotComBurmanCover1.jpg
    theVincentDotComBurmanCover1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 81

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Yes this would be well worthwhile item for the spares company to look into .or some one out there with the know ,
PLEASE PUT ME DOWN FOR AN COMPLETE SEAL KIT.
peter

nkt267

VOC Member
I can't for the life of me remember who told me but it is possible to turn a groove in the outer cover and install an 'O' ring in the gearlever shaft hole to stop the leaks..John

clevtrev

VOC Member
Simply modify the block that the lever passes through. One seal on the inside,round the shaft, one between the block and cover. O-rings will do the job. The kick start needs machining out to take a lip seal.

tim welsh

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Trev, I'll give it a go. (maybe winter job - dont want to lose any sunny days)
Thanks as well John - might it have been Trev that told you?!!

craig

VOC Member
Is there a book on the Vincent Burman gearbox /clutch? Or what is the information available on this subject please?
thank you
craig

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Hi Craig,
I believe that the Swedish Vincent Owners' Club have information on Burman boxes and clutches on their web site. Over to Google, methinks! Cheers, ET43

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Is there a book on the Vincent Burman gearbox /clutch? Or what is the information available on this subject please?
thank you
craig

There is/was a Pitman book 'The Book of The Burman Gearbox'. It had a blue cover and was about the size of the Richardson Vincent book. I have been after one for years but with no success.

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Hi Hugo,
I have in my grubby little mitt a blue covered book of 29 pages, published by Burman and Sons in 1951. It does not cover the BAP box, but does give excellent drawings on seven pages of both the boxes and clutch used at that time. It covers the heavyweight 4 speed models " C " and " BA " amongst others. If there is sufficient interest, I will get some copies run off.
If a coloured cover is required, the cost will be £5.00 each. For black and white, £3.50 each, plus postage to wherever you live. End of commercial. Gotta pay for the trike somehow! ET43