Comet Gearbox Selector Fork

iandusud

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi. This is my first posting here. I'm in the process of fixing a Comet for a friend. I have ordered a long list of spares from VOC Spares but one part they don't have, and won't have for some time, that I desperately need is the mainshaft selector fork. Can anyone tell me if there is interchangabilily with Burman boxes fitted on other bikes. I have found someone with a selector fork for a BA box fitted to Ariels, which looks the same from the photo I've seen. Anyone know?

Many thanks, Ian

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Check the numbers cast into the forks, If the nombers match then they are the same. 42BA and 43BA..John

b'knighted

VOC Member
If the selectors have suffered a "ductile" failure, where the material has migrated from the top fork to the bottom, do not replace the forks without replacing the sliding gear as the new selector will pick up on "invisibly deposited" in its slot and cause a similar failure. I once managed to scrounge a second hand set of used selector forks to replace mine which had failed on the way to a Kenmore rally. The kind donor who was a friend of a friend of a total stranger had a Square Four and a Panther and I think they both had BAPs. The friend (of both the donor and the total stranger) whose petrol station I had stopped in to strip the gearbox, drove me 70 miles to collect it. The donor drove me 70 miles back to find that the service station was closed and my Comet had gone. Somehow I tracked down the address of the Service station owner and was taken there, where his wife cooked a meal for both me and the donor/driver. I then rebuilt the gearbox. When I had it complete it didn't want to change. I asked the owner the time and when he told me it was 11;30 I said something along the lines of " Oh well, its too late to even buy you a drink". He didn't accept this and took me into town where the only light was Blue outside the police station. On the other side of the road was a hotel. He hammered on the door until they opened up then we were led, in the dark, through to a lit and populated bar where "afters" were had.
When I rode on the following morning the gearbox quickly became a two speed, third and fourth I think.
I arrived at the rally as everyone else was going home on the Sunday and then rode with Rab to Glasgow where I eventually got an RAC recovery sorted. I missed work on the Monday as I didn't get home 'til mid morning. When I called in to apologise for my absence the works manager said "Never mind, did you have a good time?"
I could only reply "Incredible - unbelievable"

iandusud

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Check the numbers cast into the forks, If the nombers match then they are the same. 42BA and 43BA..John

Hi John. Thanks for your reply. I'm sure your suggestion would be fine with nos but I'm not sure repro parts will have the original numbers cast into them?

Ian

iandusud

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well I'm having no luck finding a replacement selector fork. Can anyone tell me if there's any way that these can be reclaimed?

Ian

iandusud

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Have tried Draganfly.co.uk-they list Burman selector forks.
Yes indded. They list a 3210-31 which looks very similar: http://www.draganfly.co.uk/shop/pd639784975.htm?defaultVariants={EOL}&categoryId=0

I have emailed them to ask if they know if it fits the BAP box. They replied that as far as they know it only fits the BA box. So I'm none the wiser.

Ian

iandusud

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just to let you all know that Lester Grant at the Ariel Owners Club came up trumps. For information the Ariel part number 3210-31 is the same part as the Vincent part number PR50-42BA. Draganfly normally stock them but are out of stock at the moment. They were fitted in the Burman boxes on Square Fours and also on Panthers, so Panther Owners Club might also be a source.

Cheers, Ian

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Just to let you all know that Lester Grant at the Ariel Owners Club came up trumps. For information the Ariel part number 3210-31 is the same part as the Vincent part number PR50-42BA. Draganfly normally stock them but are out of stock at the moment. They were fitted in the Burman boxes on Square Fours and also on Panthers, so Panther Owners Club might also be a source.

Cheers, Ian

It's good to see feedback about results gained from visiting this site..........ask a question, get answers, give feedback about results of the given answers......we all learn something.
Good work Ian and Thanks
Kevin