Comet Gearbox Removal Procedure

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Also be aware that if you remove the primary chain adjuster bolts (i had to, to ease removal of box) then cut off threaded end of bolts as they will probably be mushroomed and will destroy threads in gearbox upon removal

nkt267

VOC Member
Try and get someone to make new adjuster bolts for you and have a good chamfer made at the end that bears on the bottom bolt. helps to stop the mushrooming effect..John

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hi Guys, I preferred to helicoil my threads and then replace the bolts with Hi Tensile bolts that I chamfered myself on the Linisher/Grinder....all pretty easy to do at home!!

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I did have a Burman Clutch but cannot supply photo's as I loaned it (the Burman clutch ) to another section member and it was never returned. Sigh - that's bye bye to $400 or so and when I return my gearbox to original I will be forced to seek out a Burman unit for sale, if I can find one. Bit pissed about the whole thing but then again, by his own admission, he does have Welsh Alzheimer's.

View attachment 2477

Amazing - seems the Alzheimer's is partially cured, or the Easter Bunny arrived early.

Burman Clutch was returned today while I was out - but no note, no nothing. Careful examination showed it to be not exactly the unit I lent, but it will do. Still it is nice to have it back, means I can stop watching ebay.

Thanks

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Also be aware that if you remove the primary chain adjuster bolts (i had to, to ease removal of box) then cut off threaded end of bolts as they will probably be mushroomed and will destroy threads in gearbox upon removal
It is possible to remove the gearbox with the adjuster bolts in situ and without removing the engine plate. I have managed it a few times. The adjuster bolts have to be screwed in until they meet but not necessarily in the middle, i.e. one further in than the other. The only way to find the optimum position for the bolts is by trial and error. It is a tortuous business leading to the venting of many oaths and is best performed when the wife and cat are elsewhere.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Amazing - seems the Alzheimer's is partially cured, or the Easter Bunny arrived early.

Burman Clutch was returned today while I was out - but no note, no nothing. Careful examination showed it to be not exactly the unit I lent, but it will do. Still it is nice to have it back, means I can stop watching ebay.

Thanks

Went to start the rebuild/refit the Burman clutch today - the one that I thought had been finally returned from loan - but no. What was returned was something else - a rough and incomplete collection of bits n pieces that do not even match each other. The retaining bolts in the clutch drum are broken away from the drum, both the bearing retaining plates (X36) are missing, the friction plates are a mis-matched jumble and the main clutch nut has been well worked over, butchered, with a cold chisel and hammer - but the most glaring issue found today is a great big hole in the centre of the pressure plate where the clutch pushrod should have a pad to push against. Do not know where this motley collection of bits is from, but it certainly is NOT the pristine clutch I had lent from my Vincent Comet!

So my search is back on for a complete ORIGINAL Burman clutch for my 51 Comet.

Just shows how trust is so often misplaced. Leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. Seems the person I had originally lent my complete and pristine Burman clutch to my be suffering from filching as well as Alzheimer's.

nkt267

VOC Member
[QUOTE The retaining bolts in the clutch drum are broken away from the drum,][/QUOTE]
These should not be welded in they are a loose item.
There are 2 different types of pressure plate ,one has an adjuster and the other has a pressed in bush that has a ball bearing in it. I have a spare of both if it's any help..john