Comet gearbox reassembly

david_green@shaw.ca

New Forum User
VOC Member
OK – there must be a secret as to how to hold your mouth or something while trying to replace the gear cluster. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Is it best to have the main shaft already in or ??

Cheers
David :eek:

A-BCD

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This helped me !!
REASSEMBLE.jpg

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Wow --- Victoria you say. Lots of help around and about. Will you come over to the swap meet next Sunday (April 29th)??

If you do make yourself known to the local Vincent guys. Dan Smith, Robert Watson, John McDougal, Tony Cording and many others. Keep asking 'til you find one of us!!

Matty

VOC Member
Hi

There was a vey long thread ( 7 pages or so) about the Comet gearbox a few weeks ago.

This was mainly about a problem with top gear engagement and consequent siezing of the selector fork onto the sliding gear.
So before rebuilding the box it would be a good idea to check the engagement of the dogs for top, the end play in the selector shaft etc.

Have a look at this thread, which contains a lot of very valuable information and probably covers most aspects of setting up and rebuilding a Burman box - though it may take a while to read and frighten you to death with all the problems which the box can have - though mine has worked fine since 1957 but needed some TLC !!

The thread is Titled " Burman 4th Gear Selector Meltdown" and started on 27/09/2011 - finished 09/02/2012

All the best

Matty

david_green@shaw.ca

New Forum User
VOC Member
Wow --- Victoria you say. Lots of help around and about. Will you come over to the swap meet next Sunday (April 29th)??

If you do make yourself known to the local Vincent guys. Dan Smith, Robert Watson, John McDougal, Tony Cording and many others. Keep asking 'til you find one of us!!

Hello Robert, I was planning on going to the swap meet, but just got back from a daughter /grandkids visit in Coquitlam and so may not, too much BC ferry food!! I wanted to look for pllion footrests, those are the only things that I "know about" that I'm missing. I've had the Comet in boxes for years, and am now starting (at least to think) about the rebuild - all sorts of things got in the way. And probably will in the near future! It went through a dry stone wall in 1964 and has not been rebuilt since. I bought it a dozen years ago while in my home town in England. I've rebuilt the front end and wheels made the tank the right shape again, but that's about it so far.
Do you meet regulary in Vancouver? I met a "Hans"? in Victoria years ago, who, if I remember correctly used to be a Vincent mechanic.
Cheers
David