comet gearbox and A.T.D problem

karl johnson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
hi everyone and can i have some advice please.
i recently got my comet out from winter hibernation- fresh petrol, oil , penrite semi fluid, new corks for the taps, all the usual and more (won,t bore you with details) she started 3rd kick. i checked for. oil circulation :D job done ille go out for a run later.

i got it out and two things happend, after an annoying 7 kicks and 2 kick backs i took off the ATD cover and open/close the bob weights to see if they close on their own... no they stick .... now i tell myself its because its been laid up and maybe a bit dry... can this happen? it is a new ATD fitted for me. i closed the weights put the cover back on. easy does it to top dead..... kick... it fired up.. sticking ATD. ive done about 400 mile on the bike so maybe more be wearing in..and a squirt of oil at the start of ride season ?

also during the kicks i did get a couple of kick start lock up solids.
now i have read on a forum somwhere of a similar problem on the comet ( i hope its the same as i can,t remember) i am guessing its the quadrant locking in the mesh (slight movement) and this artical stated by putting it in gear and moving back wheel it frees it ??? now mine did free on its own when i took pressure off the kick starter. can anyone shine a light on this as when i did get it going as stated above doing about 55mph on the motorway. i couldnt help but think if this thing locks up :eek:.

on a last note i did extract the old grease oil from the gearbox in favour of penrite for which some of you use and recommend. i injected a first fill up, started it up, it did level out . then squirted another load in before the ride.... ille keep checking it untill its filled up any advice on the atd and lockup will be appreciated

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
.............. I got it out and two things happened, after an annoying 7 kicks and 2 kick backs I took off the ATD cover and open/close the bob weights to see if they close on their own... no they stick .... now i tell myself its because its been laid up and maybe a bit dry... can this happen? it is a new ATD fitted for me. I closed the weights put the cover back on. easy does it to top dead..... kick... it fired up.. sticking ATD. I've done about 400 mile on the bike so maybe more be wearing in .. and a squirt of oil at the start of ride season?
If it is a new ATD it should not stick.
Was it new or second hand but new to the bike?
Are the return springs in place?
Did the bob weights return before it was fitted?
Ask the person that fitted the ATD.
There should be plenty of oil flying about in the timing case so the ATD should not need additional lubrication.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Does it stick a bit when the points are open, Or just about to, Must be a bit of load ?, Cheers Bill.

karl johnson

VOC Member
If it is a new ATD it should not stick.
Was it new or second hand but new to the bike?
Are the return springs in place?
Did the bob weights return before it was fitted?
Ask the person that fitted the ATD.
There should be plenty of oil flying about in the timing case so the ATD should not need additional lubrication.
i dug out my invoices from the chap that did the work on the bike for me( i wont mention names ) but it was new and cost
£ 283.00 from vinparts. so brand new it looks