Comet gear lever

Matty

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The use for those hammers in the bag to the left of the vice is a trade secret and each has a special purpose and power.
To use them requires great skill and brilliant natural talent only invested in a few of us.
The gear lever I made cost £15 in total, £10 for the lever and £5 for the welding plus around 2 hours filing and fettling !!
Matty

Chris.R

VOC Member
The use for those hammers in the bag to the left of the vice is a trade secret and each has a special purpose and power.
To use them requires great skill and brilliant natural talent only invested in a few of us.
The gear lever I made cost £15 in total, £10 for the lever and £5 for the welding plus around 2 hours filing and fettling !!
Matty
Thanks for that Matty I will see how I get on. Chris

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have done another bad thing, Just wanted a bit of Shine for a Kicker and gear lever, For the new bike.
Feked.com do some cheap stuff, I think the gear lever is for a Triumph, A bit shorter than Burman and not the right size !, But with a bit of spreading and bending a bolt, Drilled out the hole a bit ? I got it to clamp ?, Cracked the chrome a bit, But from a Distance !, Looks OK to me, Not sure if it will stay clamped, But it's steel,
It will be some time before I can test it on the road, I thought the short lever might make the gear change a bit quicker ??.

Attachments

• IMG_20191228_094722.jpg
    IMG_20191228_094722.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 37

Chris.R

VOC Member
I have done another bad thing, Just wanted a bit of Shine for a Kicker and gear lever, For the new bike.
Feked.com do some cheap stuff, I think the gear lever is for a Triumph, A bit shorter than Burman and not the right size !, But with a bit of spreading and bending a bolt, Drilled out the hole a bit ? I got it to clamp ?, Cracked the chrome a bit, But from a Distance !, Looks OK to me, Not sure if it will stay clamped, But it's steel,
It will be some time before I can test it on the road, I thought the short lever might make the gear change a bit quicker ??.
As the Comet has been off the road a year while I slowly rebuild the old girl time is not a problem, presently the head and barrel are off for a refurb the ends seem ok, then I have got new steel idlers to go in before I can set about replacing the old rubber wire that was still on the bike when it was put in a museum 30 years ago, I am aiming to be running by April, the photo is the first owner in 1954. Tom has asked to see the bike again so will have to run up to Morpeth I hope he lasts as long as it takes he is 86 now.
Thomas Henry Horne_1954 Vincent Comet TVK960 the first owner_0001.jpg