Comet gear lever

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have two of these, but the one with the best spline has a fairly clumsy metal "foot" bolted on. Since the levers look like cast ally, presumably it would be relatively simple to carve a new foot and have it TIG or MIG welded in place, but I've neither seen nor read of it being done. Is it more difficult that it looks? Or should I try to get out more?

clevtrev

VOC Member
I have two of these, but the one with the best spline has a fairly clumsy metal "foot" bolted on. Since the levers look like cast ally, presumably it would be relatively simple to carve a new foot and have it TIG or MIG welded in place, but I've neither seen nor read of it being done. Is it more difficult that it looks? Or should I try to get out more?

Remember that when you weld aluminium, you lose 30% of it`s strength, and it is not reheatreatable.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Ya, but if you are welding it out at the foot end, it isn't too critical, not like welding at near the splined end anyway.. I welded the foot end of the rear bake pedal/lever on a Velo thruxton, and although not seen too much use, I have pressed hard on it with my size 11's and didn't manage to break it. Maybe Tom likes to really stomp those gear changes!!

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I have been searching for a correct Comet gear lever for years and so it seems have a number of other Comet owners. The point is how many of us need this part? Is there sufficient demand to persuade the Spares Co. to manufacture a batch? My lone pleas in the past have been unsuccessful.

Hugo

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Agreed Hugo. I was in need of the Burman gear lever for a Comet, rang Draganfly at Bungay, was assured they had one, drove to Bungay to collect, then discovered that the one they showed me had smaller splines-clearly not for a BAP box-wasted journey! Please spares suppliers, get some new ones made!

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Agreed Hugo. I was in need of the Burman gear lever for a Comet, rang Draganfly at Bungay, was assured they had one, drove to Bungay to collect, then discovered that the one they showed me had smaller splines-clearly not for a BAP box-wasted journey! Please spares suppliers, get some new ones made!

Len,

For years Draganfly had a Burman display card with various Burman parts wired on to it including what looked suspiciously like a Comet gearlever. Unfortunately this display card was hung very high up on a wall. I was never able to persuade them to get it down to let me look, let alone to buy it. I wonder if that is the one they showed you?

Hugo

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Buman Gearlever

Len,

For years Draganfly had a Burman display card with various Burman parts wired on to it including what looked suspiciously like a Comet gearlever. Unfortunately this display card was hung very high up on a wall. I was never able to persuade them to get it down to let me look, let alone to buy it. I wonder if that is the one they showed you?

Hugo