G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) Comet gear lever not returning

Piston Pete

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi - I have a minor gearbox irritation on my 51 Comet. Occasionally the gear lever doesn't return , and when I "help" it back with my boot , there is no spring ...I need to feel the lever into gear , but after a while normal service resumes. This happened to me yesterday , and the last time was on the international rally - both times the glitch fixed itself ( wishful thinking!) after a few miles.

I removed the gearbox outer cover when this first happened , but nothing was amiss , so I cleaned everything and put it back together.

Has anyone else come across this , and what should i do ? Its a minor irritation , but if i can fix it , i should .

Thanks in advance for any help.

Peter

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Sounds to me that there is a problem with the selector spring box. You need to remove, clean and examine it. Possible issues are cracks in the spring box itself allowing the pivot pin to 'float' and or weak/worn springs. Fortunately replacement bits are available from the VOC Spares Co and also from Dragandfly.

The attached articles may be of assistance.

Attachments

• Burman_boxes_overhauling_Motor_Cycling_November_1961.pdf
    495.2 KB · Views: 22
  • burman.pdf
    784 KB · Views: 11

Piston Pete

VOC Member
Thanks Martyn - I will pull it apart at the weekend , and check out the spring box .I replaced the spring box a few years ago after I fell off in snow in Wales - the gear lever dug in and the spring box shattered. The replacement has been fine , until now. It might be worthwhile just replacing the box and springs etc anyway. I will let you know how i get on . Thanks for your help